Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a folder "Document and Settings/Local Settings/Microsoft/Media Player/Transcoded Files Cache". It has I guess about 1gb of transcoded files in it. I tried searching around and I'm wondering what these are exactly. Some sort of encoded files, but for what?

>.> I like keeping my comp clean of useless files, thinking these files are pretty useless :p can someone tell me what these are and if it's a good idea to delete them, thnx.

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Do you have some form of portable music player? If so, these should be the files which are actually on your player.

What WMP10 does is when you want to copy over music to a device, it checks to see if the music in your library is in a compatible format. If it's not, it transcodes the music into something understandable by the player, and places it in a cache. When it actually copies the music to the device, it copies this cached version instead of the actual file you have already.

It should be completely safe to delete these files. Just to make sure, if you have enough space, make a backup copy of these files and delete the originals. Run up WMP and see if your music still plays. If it does, you should be completely safe to delete the backed up copies.

However, it may take a little more time to copy music to your player next time as WMP will have to transcode the files again so your device can understand them.

It's up to you as to whether you delete them. Personally, I'd leave them be (but then I always have more than enough space on my HDDs), but if you want to get rid of them, there should be nothing stopping you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.