Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Newbie Alert!
I run a small accommodation rental business. I have a competitor who amongst other things tries to contact the owners of my properties and plagiarises my text. Now this person is, i am pretty sure, sending me fake enquiries through fake gmail accounts. In short a real unsavoury character.
What i want to do is find their IP address and see if any of these "fake enquiries" match their IP address.
So my question to the forum is what would be the easiest way for a fairly non-tech guy like me to do a bit of detective work?
Alternatively can anyone recommend a paid service or person i can hire to do this for me?
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,746 Posts
Right click Email (just like you'd left click to open) and choose "View Raw Message". It's (IP) near the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am viewing my emails in Outlook. I can go to "Tags" - "message options" then "internet headers"

Sometimes an IP address is shown here but sometimes it is only my server IP which shows.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,917 Posts

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,229 Posts
You would have to view the source header of the e-mail to start, and how you do that in Outlook depends on the version you're using. But, if the e-mails are originating from a Gmail account, the senders actual IP address won't be visible. You'll just see a Gmail mail server IP address, which will vary from message to message.

If you're taking inquiries via an e-mail link on your website, the better option is to use a Form that people fill out which includes a phone number field and a captcha. Putting an e-mail address out in the open on a website means it will get scraped by scammers, spammers and bots. Any competent web designer can install a form on your website that sends the inquiry to your e-mail address w/o exposing your address.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,746 Posts
If your actual provider has a site, go there prior to opening Outlook and see the raw message there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts