Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The touchpad on my HP laptop has suddenly stopped working. The touchpad is not disabled because right click works; pressing the right button brings up a menu as usual. The mouse pointer does not move properly, but when I drag my finger across the touchpad the pointer occasionally jumps across the screen. A USB mouse works just fine.

I tried updating the drivers, to no avail. I also uninstalled it in device manager and rebooted to make it reinstall the driver, but that didn't help either. Windows seems to think the device is working fine.

The laptop is about 4-5 years old. When the problem occurred, I was editing photos, I had been holding a drink and I accidentally touched the touchpad with a slightly wet finger - would this cause the problem?

Can anyone advise on what I should do? Thanks :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought it might be better today...but no. It worked for all of five minutes, then it started going crazy. Before the mouse pointer was hardly moving at all - now it'sgoing crazy and wiggling all over, and I've had to disable the touchpad so I can use a USB mouse. Help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I attempted to do a system restore, and the laptop rebooted and then said system restore was incomplete and my system had not been restored. But my touchpad is now working! So it's obviously a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

However I notice that every few minutes Norton 360 is blocking C:/Windows/System32/ctfmon.exe as it thinks it's a keylogger. As far as I can tell, this is a legit process - there is only one instance of this program running, I did virus scans with various software (Norton, Spybot, etc) and they all came back clean, scanning the whole computer as well as that specific file.

Could this have anything to do with my touchpad issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.