Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchpad on acer aspire e15 not working

SOLVED 
10K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  tywaser1 
#1 ·
I just bought an Acer Aspire E15 laptop running windows 8.1 64 bit Feb 14, 2017. It took a while to get it to install updates. I looked up how to fix the "stuck at checking for updates forever" and I figured out how to get the updates working by manually installing a few updates using standalone update packages from Microsoft.com. I had to disable my internet and disable windows update with 'net stop wuauserv' in cmd. After installing them in the correct order based on the prerequisites section for the update that another forum mentioned, I ran 'net start wuauserv' and enabled my internet. It then, by itself, installed 221 updates and it took 10 hours. Now the touchpad on it has stopped working and is not listed in device manager. Please help.:banghead:

#2 ·
I downloaded the IO drivers from the manufacturer's website. When I installed the IO drivers, a dialog showed up that said 'The same or newer drivers are already installed. Do you want to install them anyway?' to which I clicked yes. Once they were installed, I rebooted the computer and now my touchpad works. If your computer has a sticker on it saying it is an Acer Aspire E15, you want to look for drivers for Acer Aspire ES1-511. Sounds weird but it works. If windows update reinstalls bad drivers, though this is generally a bad idea as it makes your computer more vulnerable to hackers and malware, I hate to say this, but you may want to disable automatic updaes.

#3 ·
I realize now that E15 is just a series of laptop. make sure you only use drivers for the exact model number. do not take my advice of disabling automatic updates since you can probably just reinstall those drivers again if it installs a bad driver. I have a headcold that makes my judgement bad. Windows automatic updating is a good thing to have and I am sorry for the potentially dangerous advice. My computer is working well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.