Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HDMI port on my Satellite L500 laptop is not sending information to my sony bravia tv. All was working fine up until a couple of days ago. When i plug the hdmi lead into the port, it seems as if the laptop is aware it's plugged in as the screen flickers. The fn +F5 keys do as they should, but no picture appears on the tv. The tv shows a lead is plugged in also and again the screen flicks to say a source is there but then remains black. I can't see an issue in device manager and all drivers are saying they're up to date. I have also tried a new hdmi lead but nothing. Can anyone help with this?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
Try running a System Restore back to a previous point when it was working.

If still not working uninstall and re-install the graphics drivers from the Toshiba Support site for your model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had done a system restore, forgot to mention. And do you mean display driver as graphics driver is not listed. Am running win 7 64 by the way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for that link, i did go there when you said to go to the toshiba support site earlier. i have tried the display driver as the site does not list a "graphics" driver, but still no joy. Also other restore points do not fix. I have nothing to say there is any fault with anything, and thats whats confusing. i'm normally pretty good at finding causes and solutions.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Go into Device Manager and expand Display Adapters, this will ID your graphics card and you will be able to download your graphics drivers from that manufacturer's site.

While you're in Device Manager, check for any yellow alerts.

You'll be able to download your Display driver from Toshiba Support but graphics are downloaded from the manufacturer's site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, done as said, went to intel and downloaded drivers for graphics, but won't let me install as says the driver isn't validated for this computer, and to go to the computer manu website to download. Back to square one. That's if i downloaded the correct one, which i'm pretty certain of. No warning signs in device manager by the way. copied this from dxdiag if it helps.

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Core i3)
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_FF001179&REV_02
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: SEC5541
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.998Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.1986 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.10.1986
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/30/2009 12:23:10, 5956608 bytes

Will wait for your reply and try again in the morning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have used the driver update utility and it says that i have a customized computer manufacture driver, and therefore cannot update. again to contact the manufacturer for drivers. do i need to look at a different driver on the toshiba site?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It would seem so.

If you post the first 6 chrs of the Part No of your laptop such as PSC1YE etc. I'll see what I can find for your Tosh model and the graphics card you have posted.

Is L500 the full name & model of your laptop ?

In Device Manager/Display Adapters, what does it give as your graphics card ?

I use Toshiba Satellites so I'm familiar with the Toshiba Driver/Support site.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Just had a look at the available drivers for the L500 and on Page1 I'd recommend the Chip Set Utility dated 21/06/10 first and then on Page2, Display Driver Intel dated 21/06/10

Those for the L500D don't apply as the Display Driver is ATI.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok, I have a satellite L500-1XD, and I've noticed that it's discontinued, and the part no is PSLS6E. Graphics card is stated as Intel Grahics Media Accelerator HD. The 1XD is not listed but I had noticed the part no was. Shall I use the ones you indicated? Plus I can't rule out that it's not my tv, as I have no other HDMI device to test.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
It appears that you have tried reinstalling the correct driver.

Since there are no issue listed in Device Manager then the driver may not be the issue here.

Unfortunately the next step would be to determine that the HDMI input is working on the TV.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Ok, I have a satellite L500-1XD, and I've noticed that it's discontinued, and the part no is PSLS6E. Graphics card is stated as Intel Grahics Media Accelerator HD. The 1XD is not listed but I had noticed the part no was. Shall I use the ones you indicated? Plus I can't rule out that it's not my tv, as I have no other HDMI device to test.
Create a restore point then download those two drivers that I've indicated (and in that order) to eliminate any corruption.

The only free alternative to testing the HDMI socket on your laptop that I can think of, would be if there's a friend or relative who has a compatible tv and broadband.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I thank you all for your input. As it stands I am no closer to a solution. I have re-restored, and re-installed those drivers tomken15 suggested. I have also done a hard reset on my tv, as given by other help sites, unplugged power etc. The tv still is aware of a device in the HDMI port, and my laptop can recognise the tv in that it is shown with all display options in the screen resolution window. But still I am haunted by the black screen of doom. I will be sourcing other HDMI devices to test, and another tv to check the laptop on. It's not looking good but again, thank you for your time and knowledge. I will post any findings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.