Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have Toshiba Satellite L20-112 PLS2XE model running WinXP. It has 2 memory slots and according to the spec each slots supports 1G memory. It had originally installed 1 stick of 512MB DDR2 PC-4300 Samsung RAM. I have added 1 stick with 1G PKTT533D2/1G Kinston memory (certified for this laptop model) and have updated the BIOS to the latest version (2.2). The BIOS reports only 1G RAM (more exactly 896MB = 1024-128 (video RAM). XP reports also 1G. CPU-Z utility "sees" both 1G and 512MB sticks and reports correctly 1.5G. No booting problems.
I have verified that when only 1G stick (second slot is empty) is installed or only one 512 MB is installed (send slot is empty), everything is reported correctly. I have also changed the slots when installing both sticks - it did not help.
Is it wrong information in the spec ? Is it because the memory sticks are of the same spec but different manufactures ? Any solution to this problem ?
Thanks,
Fir

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have updated BIOS to the latest version I found on Toshiba site. I do not know about any other fixes related to this problem. I wonder if anybody else had a similar problem ??

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not too many replies - it looks like I am the only one who has such a problem......
I just wonder whether the problem is caused by wrong "frozen" information in CMOS (and how one clear CMOS without dismantling the laptop ??) or it is just a result of using the same spec but from different manufactures 2 memory sticks ?
I am curious: does anybody run without problem on Toshiba Satellite L20-112 laptop 2 different RAM sticks ??
Fir

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last try: does anybody have problems on Toshiba satellite L20-112 with 2 memory sticks from different manufactures (the same spec: DDR2, PC2-4300, one 512MB Samsung and other one 1G Kinston) ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.