Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite U205-S5002. Yesterday when I attempted to start my laptop I received this error message: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

And something about pressing "r" from the recovery disk. Well, I booted from the only disk I received when I purchased the computer and there is no option for repair. The only options available are to return the laptop to "out of box" condition, or to erase the hard drive. In addition, every search I've done on this error message references a recovery console, yet I cannot seem to find one.

I have several very important documents that I did not back up. Also, this happened after I shut the laptop down and put it in my laptop backback (in a nylon zipped pocket) and wonder if it could have overheated? I'm dreading the possibility that my documents cannot be retrieved.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Specifically I need to know if and how I can get to the recovery console (I've tried F8 to no avail).

Please help...

Thanks

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi, and welcome to TSF! :wave:

You need to borrow a Windows CD because the Toshiba recovery disk does not have the recovery console on it. This will allow you to run the recovery console.

Moved you to Microsoft support/Windows XP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.