Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a VGA cable to connect my laptop to my TV in order to mirror what ever is on my laptop screen. My TV did not pick up anything when I checked the Sources.

I opened the "Action Centre" on my laptop and selected "Project". I changed the current setting of "Duplicate" to "Second Screen Only", this caused my laptop screen to go black when the VGA cable was connected. When I disconnected the VGA cable my laptop screen came back on. This frustrating because I want to change it back to "Duplicate" but it is impossible to navigate while the VGA cable is plugged in because of the black screen.

note that when i changed it to "second Screen Only" my TV still did not pick up my laptop.

any solution for this?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi Jason ... and welcome to the forums ...

Usually, the setting in the graphics driver that you chose ("Duplicate"), should work.

The TV and the laptop screen do need to have a common resolution that they both can display, of course.

Most TVs will show "PC" or "VGA" in their list of available connections -- which did you pick?

....an alternative to try: if your laptop has an HDMI port, and your TV has an HDMI port, try using an HDMI cable to connect the two. HDMI is usually a nicer option, especially if you wish to have audio produced on the TV (HDMI carries both video & audio - as you probably already know).

Or you could try a different VGA cable.

Let us know how it goes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.