Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My Toshiba Satellite A30 is intemittently powering down and refusing to turn back on. The latest incident occurred last night, I had left the laptop running an adware scan. When I returned after about 2 hours the laptop had turned off, the green power light was on, on the front, but the laptop would not turn back on. This problem is very intermittent and this was the first time it had occurred for about 3 months. However, the problem was happening every day at one point.

I have had the laptop checked and no problems could be found, and last night the battery was out, so it isn't a battery problem as I had suspected. The problem also does not happen when I am using it. It only seems to occur if I leave it to its own devices.

Can you offer any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but

When this happened yesterday I had the battery pack out and the laptop was plugged in to the mains. Also if it was going into hibernation, surely I should be able to turn it back on wouldn't I?

When this happens I cannot get access to the laptop at all for a good 12 hours at least, but it does seem to reset itself if I leave it long enough.

any ideas???

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Again, check the power options. Hibernation can be set whether it's on AC power or battery. It's based on a period of non-use that is set by the user ie: you can set the computer to hibernate anywhere from 1 minute to 5 hours to never. The settings can be controlled in bios settings and/or through control panel. Laptop power options are exactly the same except they may include an additional setting to enter hibernation after the battery reaches a certain point of discharge

Some computers do not work well with standby or hibernation. One symptom is that the computer won't wake up from standby or hibernation or both. As far as that goes, depending on how ACPI is implemented on a computer, the cause of wake ups can be set such as mouse, keyboard, modem, or lan card use

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.