Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My privacy has been invaded and my laptop has been stolen.

It's been reported, my serial number is in a national computer. Anyone of any age caught with my laptop, the State of NJ will press charges and they will most likely go to jail.

But I know 95% or more of stolen computers are never recovered. So as I try to track my laptop down by myself waiting for someone to check my email for me and then give me all the info I'll ever need, IP, ISP, etc. I can figure out where it is basically.

But in case that doesn't happen, I need to know where, what, when, how I may be able to get he MAC Address to the built in Wifi card? I did not have this information written down, and right now I wish it did. It would help me a lot.

I mean I haven't had a chance to look at the box yet for anything, just curious before I get my hopes up if it might be on there or something.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Check in your router. Mine list the mac address of every wireless and wired device that connects to it.

If you do not have a router, your ISP may have this information.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are amazing, thank you so much. The MAC Address has been given to the Police. Unsure what they reacted like, my dad took it and I haven't talk to him yet.

But, here is hoping and more info is all the better.

One of my friends told me:

"If you have WiFi on the laptop and know the MAC addy of the WiFi card, give that to the police too.

They could advise public WiFi spots to look for that little addy and trackdown your laptop easier."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I see that you posted about a stolen toshiba computer. I just have some questions. My house was just broken into and my computer was stolen, i had my mac and lan numbers my serial number and product number. my computer was reported stolen to tosihba and to the police. what was the outcome with your case. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.