Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Looking for some battery performance information.

My (Toshiba S55-C5274) laptop was in need of a new battery. On a full charge I would get about 30 mins of usage. This was the original battery and a gradual reduction over time from the time I purchased the laptop new. I have the original charger.

A few days ago (Jan 19, 2022) I installed a new battery in it. The battery is a PA5185U-1BRS . It is a Dentsing 14.8v 2800mah battery. (Amazon). It came (supposedly) fully charged. I installed it without charging it. I turned off all sleep and hibernate power & monitor settings and monitored the laptop for the first usage of the battery. It lasted about 4 hours 30 mins.

I have since charged it up fully (overnight even), and now for the next 4-5 cycles, I get about 2 hours out of the new battery. What changed?

My question is, why did I get almost twice as much usage out of the battery when it was brand new, and 5 days later (3-4 cycles) I get half of that? Could it be that the manufacturer uses a charger that charges it to its absolute fullest capacity, and that my original Toshiba charger doesn't have the capacity to charge it that high?

Defective charger?

Could it be anything within the laptop battery management that tells the battery it's "full" when it really isn't?

Any other thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts
Could be a number of things. I know some laptops have a setting that only charges the battery to around 60-65% under the guise that it's "extending it's life". I haven't seen that lately, but I believe it was on a Microsoft Surface tablet that I experienced it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts