Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my R15 S829 tablet pc. It usually takes up to 10 minutes to boot up and very rarely does it boot normally. It starts in about 20 secs and goes until the blue windows screen where it stalls for a few minutes; it proceeds to the desktop background where it stalls again for a few minutes. The total bootup time usually ends up being 10 minutes. I've been having this problem from day 1.

Is anyone having the same problem? Can you give me some clue to what the problem might be??

The mofos from Toshiba weren't any help. We took the laptop to a Toshiba service ctr and they didnt fix the problem-called us to go pick it up just as is even though the laptop is still under warranty.
I'm at my wit's end...hopefully someone will be able to give me some tips. Please HELPPP!!!!!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
This sounds like it may be more of a software issue than a machine problem. Try going to the start menu click on run and type in msconfig and hit enter. Now goto the startup tab and disable everything from startup. If this fixes the problem then reenable programs like your anti-virus and firewall. Also you may want to check for viruses and spyware. Check out the links for spybot and house call in my signature. Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sounds like it may be more of a software issue than a machine problem. Try going to the start menu click on run and type in msconfig and hit enter. Now goto the startup tab and disable everything from startup. If this fixes the problem then reenable programs like your anti-virus and firewall. Also you may want to check for viruses and spyware. Check out the links for spybot and house call in my signature. Let us know if this helps.

Thanks for your tips. I did exactly as you said. Went in and disabled everything in startup and did a restart. It was still doing the same thing (delayed bootup) so I went back and checked if anything was still checked off in the startup items. I realized that although I disabled it, ctfmon.exe still loaded. I disabled it in the startup list once again and did a restart only to find that IT LOADS AGAIN.

I looked up what that file does and read that it monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

Once I disabled that (Start. Control Panel. Regional and Language Options. Languages TAB. Details BUTTON. Advanced TAB. "Turn off advanced text services" CHECK BOX) it was working great.

I restarted it about 20 times to make sure I was in the clear and I was convinced that the problem was solved. On the 21st try it delayed at bootup again grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:upset:....this means that disabling all startup items is not the solution to this problem.

I went back in and allowed all startup items to see if that would change anything and now it starts up fine with all startup items enabled...the question is: for how long??? This makes absolutely no sense to me so I really can't figure out what the problem is.
Any thoughts??

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you try the spyware scans? Also there is a registry tweak you can do that will boost the boot time in XP. If you feel comfortable messing with the registry I can tell you how it is done.
Oh,i forgot... i did al scans,nothing found.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Remember to backup your registry and important files before making any changes. If something goes wrong it could effect the entire machine and cause you to have to reinstall windows.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

2. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement\PrefetchParameters

3. Make sure you backup the keys by exporting them to a .reg file.

4. On the EnablePrefetcher value, change the setting from 3 to 5 (decimal).

5. Close the registry editor.

6. Restart your computer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.