Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 on my girlfriends Toshiba A45 S121 laptop and have an odd issue.

Some keys when pressed insert a # before the letter. For instance, when I type the letter "G" it inserts a "5" before the letter showing "5G". It's only certain letters and always the same ones.

The laptop just got back from Circuit City where they replace the HDD and did a standard windows install with all the crap that comes with new PC's so we decided to put a fresh copy of windows on it. So this 'could' have something to do with them, though we didn't really do any typing before we decided to wipe it, so it's hard to say if it was like this before too.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
try going to toshibas website and download/install all updates and drivers for the laptop.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done that already and installed all the available updates and drivers. Seems to be some kind of mapping problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Below is the list of keys that have the problem and what is displayed when typed if that's any help. Doing [Shift] + key for any of them works the same way.

3 = 3d
5 = 5g
7 = 7j
8 = 8,
9 = 9.
0 = 0[
= = =]
q = (opens help topic)
[ = 0
] = =]
s = (opens find menu)
d = 3d
g = 5g
j = 7j
, = 8,
. = 9.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I read so far, it has something to do with the FN key functionality on toshiba laptops. I've read through a lot of forum posts of people with similar problems but no solutions yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.