Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Toshiba laptop got mechanically agitated with the AC adapter plugged in about a week ago, causing a series of events leading to the death of my laptop. I pulled the hard drive out and put it into an external USB can to get my files to find that access is denied to the documents folder associated with my profile.
I disabled password protection for my profile a long time ago, so I assume that is not the case. My laptop does have a fingerprint reader as well as MySafe. The pc I am using now is a dinosaur, so I am hoping the problem is that I have to download some software to gain access to my laptop drive.
XP is on both drives.
Thanks.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I took it to one of my coworkers who is an IT by military profession. He said that the reason why I couldn't get into my documents was because they are under the administrator profile for that hard drive. He was able to get into my documents by creating an admin profile with the same name and password on his vista laptop as on my hard drive (used as an external). He did some other admin stuff as well, but I can't remember what it was. The end result was that he needed to do whatever it was he did to get into each and every folder nested within My Documents. I told him the stuff I really needed was in My Safe, so he broke into My Safe and -- EMPTY!!!
Is there a way that I can recover my stuff? I haven't written to that drive. He mentioned something about using Ubuntu to get to it, but I wanted to some advice from this forum before proceeding. Before he started messing with my drive, I just wanted to stick it in another Toshiba laptop with a fingerprint reader and the Protector Suite QL (for My Safe), but he was so sure he could do it...
Please help!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XP is on the laptop hd. He was using Vista, and he did take ownership - but not of the whole drive, just the documents folder. This allowed him to get into the folder, but not within any of the nested folders. He had to take ownership of each individual nested folder to get into it. He did this to get into My Safe, but after doing this the folder was empty.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way I can get into my MySafe folder on my laptop HD as an external with my XP desktop? When he took ownership did he ruin any settings? Does my MySafe folder still have my files in it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.