Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toro zero turn mower model 74203 serial 990223 that stalls a few seconds after it starts. I replaced fuel filter, problem persisted. I then rebuilt and cleaned carb and problem persisted. I then replaced the carb completely and problem persisted. So then I changed out the fuel pump but again it didn't help. Mower has recently had a full tune up with new plugs and filters. I have no idea what to do next. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator, TSF Manager
27,769 Posts
How old is the mower?? What condition is the battery in??

I have a 74224 that I purchased in 2004. You'd be surprised what a weak battery will do. I learned to replace the battery if odd symptoms appeared.....most notable is stalling when the PTO is engaged. Make sure the 'sticks' don't move out of neutral.....they can be touchy at times. Brake switch may need looked at...dunno. There are quite a few safety interlocks on that mower that can cause problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have a 74224 that I purchased in 2004. You'd be surprised what a weak battery will do. I learned to replace the battery if odd symptoms appeared.....most notable is stalling when the PTO is engaged. Make sure the 'sticks' don't move out of neutral.....they can be touchy at times. Brake switch may need looked at...dunno. There are quite a few safety interlocks on that mower that can cause problems.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mower is older.

Mower is a 1999, Battery is probably 2 years old but have not had any issues starting. I will check that out.

·
27,769 Posts
Let me see if I can find the manual. I have an errand to run and will be back in a few hours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found the service manual on Toro.com. Turns out it was a faulty ignition switch that would start but then ground out and kill the motor when it went to the run position. If I held the switch in the start position it would continue to run with no problem. Go figure!

·
27,769 Posts
Sorry I dropped the ball on this...😴 That's what I like about owning a Toro.....manuals are FREE at their website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts