Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm can't seem to figure out what is wrong with my lawn mower. It is a Toro Recycler 20041 with a Briggs and Stratton 125K05-0186-E1. A few weeks ago I was cutting tall grass and it just died. Now since, when I try to start it will just barely runs. If I spray starting fluid in while it attempts to die it will still just keep running and slow RPM. I have did basic cleaning of carburetor doing the the bowl, main jet and needle & seat. Installed new plug and replaced air breather as I heard that this can potentially do this. I have about 62psi compression and to me that seems low but found other articles saying that this is OK. I have good spark and even when it is stalling it still shows good spark on my tester that I use. I use non-oxygen gas which does not contain any ethanol and have done so for years. Only thing I can think is that 60psi is not enough compression and I need to look at changing out the rings. Has anyone seen something similar to this or have any suggestions? I appreciate any input.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
12,543 Posts
How old is it? if you have fuel air and fire you have a running engine I read that your gas has non ethanol which is good I ues regular in my mowers, thats whyu I have 4 of them incase its between paydays and I cant buy a new carb LOL ( yea im that lazy) so it HAS to be a worn ring issue, unless the low oil pressure switch is having something to do with it that's why I asked how old it is the older the lass shutoff crap is installed

·
Administrator, TSF Manager
27,160 Posts
Have you checked the 'shear key' to make sure the crankshaft and flywheel are still aligned??

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,014 Posts
Two good suggestions above. I'll throw in a third. Make sure the linkage is intact and functioning from end to end including choke linkage.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
12,543 Posts
Have you checked the 'shear key' to make sure the crankshaft and flywheel are still aligned??

Yea, about the flywheel ALWAYS use the puller, NEVER listen to those guys that say " oh, just hit it a few times with a hammer and pry up at the same time" you can either crack the case, or mess up a bearing somewhere you really don't wanna look at.....I take thick scrap steel and build my own pullers its real easy to do and saves lots of time and money, if a pulled gets tight remove it and soak the shaft area with PB blaster , WD40 of wintergreen, ( if you were lucky wnough to ever be in the navy and had access to a whole 5 gallon can of it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts