1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here's my current rig:

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Black Edition
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
650W Corsair PSU (52 amps off the 12v rail)
XFX 9800 GT
Coolermaster Elite 335 case

Okay. A few questions. First, am I going to be okay power-wise to run two 9800 GTs with my current PSU? And secondly, I've got some room for fan expansion. I can add another 120mm fan in front and an 80mm on the side panel. In terms of cooling, would I be okay with those three fans or would I need to consider liquid cooling?

With just one 120mm fan and one 9800 GT, there's no excessive heat build-up what-so-ever in my case now.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
The Corsair TX650W should power two 9800GTs. First though, what resolution is your monitor? SLI scales better with larger resolutions. Also, it might be more cost effective to just get a new graphics card. Depends on what you're paying for the second 9800GT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well in truth, I mostly play World of Warcraft, which is definitely a more CPU-heavy game. I'm just seeking some overall improvements, and without upgrading to a socket AM3 mobo and, consequently, DDR3 RAM and a compatible processor, I don't have a ton of other options.

Anyway, for $80 less than a 260, I figured SLI'd 9800 GTs weren't a bad upgrade.

So as far as additional heat sinks, should two 120mm fans and an 80mm fan be enough (assuming I'm running the two 9800s)?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
I wouldn't bother with sli. It's 100% the cost for a 30% increase in speed.

Meaning if you got say 30fps in a game now , you would get maybe 39fps with sli on the exact same settings.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
If you're mostly playing WoW then a GPU upgrade probably isn't your main upgrade area. If you were playing a more GPU heavy game, then getting a second 9800GT might be a better choice, but as it stands... You should be able to completely max WoW at a playable framerate. Why do you want to upgrade?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I haven't put the new processor (the phenom 3.0 GHz) in yet. I was planning on buying it after the holidays, but then I wound up buying an extra from a friend that he had laying around (same processor), so now I was planning on putting that cash in a different direction.

As it stands at the moment, I've got a Phenom 9600 2.33 Mhz (boo!), and the game runs pretty bad in Dal (around 12 FPS average) and during 25 man encounters (complete lock-ups on whelp phase on Onyxia, less than 10 FPS on almost all bosses), and that's on medium settings with resolution at 1080.

Anyway, the processor upgrade should be the kicker. I just felt like I should do something with the $150-ish I was planning on spending on the processor.

If not the GPU upgrade, do you have any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Yea , your machine probably isn't running right. I used to play wow on my pentium D just fine.

I would check your cpu usage during the game , close evrey thing else except WoW , including anti virus programs , browsers , messengers , ect.. Also make sure you don't have the AA on or AF.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my guess as well. I've upgraded literally every component in my box over the last year and haven't seen any real improvement. Everything looks normal in CPU-z and I don't run anything in the background while raiding.

Outside of 25-mans and Dalaran, I get a pretty steady 45+ FPS. I've heard that AMD's 9600 is pretty bad, but with that being said, I'm consistantly seeing people with much worse machines getting better frame rates.

My processor will be the last thing to upgrade. The 3.0 GHz will hopefully do the trick for me, because if it's not that, I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and also I just did a clean install of Windows 7. I've trimmed down all the fat in terms of processes, etc. I really don't think I'm getting any sort of software conflicts or anything along those lines. Every driver in the machine is 100% up-to-date.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roger that. I was actually just reading a post about that earlier. I thought the blue poster said that the affinity mask was set to 2 cores by default, though.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
What's your internet connection like? That could be bringing you down.

The original Phenoms really were kind of weak, weaker than most of Intel's quad cores. But if the problem is at all related to CPU usage then the new PII 940 should remove that bottleneck and then some.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.