Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My issue is a on-going, and a little long-winded, so please bear with me here. A while back, my son spilled pop on the keyboard of my Compaq Presario laptop. I did all I could at first, drying what I could get to and then turning it upside-down so that more of the mess could drip out. The thing would boot fine, and work normall for the most part, but certain keys would stick and it would be almost impossible to type. After a couple of weeks, it got to the point where even an external keyboard wouldn't work and almost seemed like it was fighting the native one when typing. After taking it into CompUSA, I was told that the touchpad, keyboard AND memory board would need replacing. Just the mobo would cost me $1,000, which made it not worth fixing.

Knowing I had nothing to lose, I took the thing apart and cleaned it as best as I could...even the mobo. After putting it back together, I found that the touchpad worked just fine again, and, since everything else seemed to work fine as well, realized (at least) that I hadn't made anything worse. Still, the keyboard was a no-go...same with an external one. Just when I decided to scrap it for parts and uninstalled Windows, I found that they keyboard worked just fine in both DOS and the BIOS setup utility. First question: what's the deal with that??

So, now I'm stuck without Windows (I don't have the discs anymore) and both my Quick Restore and Emergency Recovery discs seem to be useless. If I use the former, it simply sticks on a screen saying "Working..." for hours, the latter disc claims to be booting Windows 98 (I had Windows 2000 Professional, but the should have been restored to the factory installed Windows Me), but then goes to a DOS A:/ prompt. (Which is also useless, as every command tried gives me a "bad command or file name" response). If I boot normally, just from the hard drive, I don't even get to DOS - just a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner. I even had an old Windows 95 disc that I tried to throw it, but got the same blinking cursor result.

So now I'm lost. Is there anyone out there that can help me? I thought there was some hope when my keyboard worked in DOS, thinking maybe there was a driver issue or some other issue that was causing Windows to simply not recognize the keyboard. So now I don't know if I should spend the time trying to fix my new issue (getting Windows back somehow), or if it would be all for nothing in the end anyway, with a non-working keyboard and parts to scrap.

Any idea??? Thanks in advance!

Will

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Truthfully, I can't imagine how the keyboard is fully functional with DOS and yet won't work with Windows, so that's one I'd have to see. I suspect something else is actually causing Windows to have issues...

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

if the keyboard works fine in dos id say that something is cuasing windows to run incorrectly, such as some pop spiled onto the board... if it dripped through the keyboard, it probably got the mainboard... did you try cleaning it? i dont even know what you would use to get soda off of a mainboard....

something wet, that evaporates instantly... like electic contact cleaner...

have no idea, how about you give it to me and i shoot it for you?

~BoB~

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You know, for less than you would think you could just get the keyboard replaced and have Gateway tech support guide you through the windows installation process (it's very likely that they have a proprietary version of windows on there so that you have to upgrade it through Gateway).

Even if the keyboard isn't the problem, it's worth a shot since you'd be out more than the price of the keyboard if you scrapped the whole thing

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
How much is your time worth....if alot --Dude your getting a DELL!!...Soda...being a liquid-- there is no telling where it could of went ...also HP/Compaq are very propiertary, meaning they are not mainstream and are a pain in the a&*to fix...Chump USA is good for basic repairs but seeing as you were able to disasemble a notebook and put it back together and get it to work again --without breaking short cables or shorting out something yourself...your probley more skilled then most (I SAID MOST) techs working for Chump anyway...Now another option--(being one myself) for a more intimate repair-- go to HP's site and select a Authorized Repair Center, let the people who have the supprot of HP and the desire to make you a client not a $100 sale assist you....HP also has a program, where for a cost you can exchange out of warrantey products for refurbished products...

try (this is an old list-- as an Authorized Solution Provider I have diffrent numbers --if these are wrong just go to www.HP.com --look under contact HP....)

970-635-1000
Post sales tech support -Omni book -HP bought Compaq

800-752-0900--
Pre sales support -Might point you in the right direction

916-785-1299
product exchange/Repair

208-472-3494
Discounts on trade-ins

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.