Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a new video card in for my gaming needs since my 6150SE integrated video driver just isnt doing it for me. So im wondering what would be a financially friendly and good choice that would WORK 100% with the computer i have.

Hp Media Center m8300f /w 465W power supply. I had bought a video card before, a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT and the computer will not power on with it in the slot...so im thinkin either somethigns wrong with the card, or my computer just cant handle that.

So..whats a video card that will satisfy my needs while WORKING with my computer and not making me poor.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
With that PSU you're looking at an Nvidia 9500 or 9600 at most. I'd suggest the 9500 if you can't power an 8600. Your best bet is to upgrade your power supply and graphics card. What's your budget? Just approximate, to within $50.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
An 8600gt should run with a decent 465 watt power supply in most cases, although a 550 watt supply should be better. When you tried to run it, did you disable the onboard and change the setting in the bios from onboard to pci-e?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup i did both of those things. when i put the card in and tried to turn it on, it made a weird sound and wouldn turn on. just a brief little fizzle sound, dont know how to explain. didnt sound good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.