Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I had a PC from Tiny, it had a TV Tuner Card, the PC was running on Win98, I have upgraded to XP and now the tuner card wont work. In device manager Multimedia Controller and Multimedia Video Controller have a yellow question mark, the driver CD does not solve the problem, what can i do?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If there is not an XP driver for the card, you're probably out of luck with it. Did you visit their website to see if there's an updated driver?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do yourself a favore; Uninstall WinXP it'll save you alot of trouble ;)

btw; TV tuner cards were really only ment for win98 systems.
obviously you came here probably from driverguides.com, or from doing a search at google, find out who is the manufacturer of the card, and if they have a website, if there is an updated driver they should have it there.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'd choose W2K or XP over any of the W9x versions in a flash! None of these O/S versions even approach perfection, but at least the NT based versions run more than a day without needing to be rebooted. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had the misery of having BOTH WinXP and Win2k, and i can safely say the is no difference between the two, except Win2k is more stable then XP, but neither is compatible any hardly anything. XP i a drain on every resource you could possibly have, and there is no reason at all that it takes up over 700MB of disk space on a hard drive. personally i think your crazy for likeing either one. Win95 and 98se have never failed me. hell out of all of the Windows operating systems 95 is by far the most stable. do you know what's really sad? the amout of things XP and 2000 are not compatible with. my CD-RW drive was recognized as, get this a DVD player. my modem, printer,and scanner. were all incompatable. 2000 didnt even recognize my CD-RW drive.unless youve got a top of the line computer with at least an 80gig hard drive, and 256MB of RAM, i wouldnt even consider installing XP or 2000. there are thousands who have had the same experience with XP. i spent more time updating it than i did actually using it.
Microsoft's biggest screw up in the history of the company was releasing that OS long before it was actually ready to be released.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Well, speaking about TV tuner cards and XP and 98SE...I just got a ATI TV wonder VE for one of my PCs. Its running 98SE and the card installed with no problems.My brothers PC is running xp pro and he got a same ATI TV card. Installed fine, running fine, he is liking it....From my experience XP and win2k work fine for me. I think there is nothing wrong with 98 either...Of course, different people have different tastes and different needs so different people use different OS.

S

·
0 Posts
If you have a new computer that's built for the new millenium :D then you shouldn't have any problems with XP whatsoever. W2K and XP are much more stable then I ever imagined they would be.
They kind of make 95 98 and ME look like the model "T"s of operating systems..................LOL

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no updates on microsoft site

In Device Manager Multimedia Controller and Multimedia Video Controller have yellow question mark, cant reinstall the driver from CD

Is windows doing something to stop it from loading

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
sir_cheats_alot said:
I've had the misery of having BOTH WinXP and Win2k, and i can safely say the is no difference between the two, except Win2k is more stable then XP, but neither is compatible any hardly anything. XP i a drain on every resource you could possibly have, and there is no reason at all that it takes up over 700MB of disk space on a hard drive. personally i think your crazy for likeing either one. Win95 and 98se have never failed me. hell out of all of the Windows operating systems 95 is by far the most stable.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, even though I don't share it. :) I'll agree that W2K didn't have nearly the driver support that W98 did, but that changed with XP. I still prefer W2K, because it's leaner, but I've been somewhat astonished at the quality of the I/O support for old devices in XP. I've installed it on several systems that there is no way I could get W2K running on, and it fired up with no issues, pretty impressive.

In my experience, none of the W9x based O/S versions have near the stability as either W2K or XP, so our experience certainly differs there. I could never run W98 more than a couple of days without rebooting, my W2K systems run for weeks. I'd also run out of system resources regularly with W9x, and that's an ancient memory with NT based systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It seems Tiny/Time Computers only have 9x drivers on their download site @http://www.tiny.com if these don't work try e-mailing support they should advise if your card is xp compatable, although with their machines it may not be.
They seem to sell most of their older machines with 98se or Millennium so it may well be worth re-installing 98se.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tried that, but they havent replied to my email, migh have to install windows98 on a virtual machine. Ive got a Asus V9900 GeforceFX 5880, it has 1 TV port, is it TV in, TV out or both?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.