Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
M7VIG 400 motherboard, amd athlon 3000, lan-vid-sound on board. The other day is was showing the wrong date. Reset, and next day same thing.
Had a couple of rebooting loop issues and thought it might have been XP3 errors. Same day, got a new battery replaced and it still was rebooting.
Used emergency linux tool/disk and removed most important data. Restart and then there was this ticking noise. Restart again and no screen showed up. Disconnected hard drive and noise still there. Disconnected all fans (temporarily) and noise still there. Nothing in CD and lights are not coming on.

I am at a loss. What could be making the noise an is it related to the system not starting? Power supply is comming on, but does not seem to be source of noise. CD drives will not open

No post beeps. Very weird. Ran perfect until I ran WISE registry cleaner then started boot the boot looping. Then the ticking started after battry replacement. Replace that battery, still ticking.
Before giving up ran disk check tools and hard disk was okay.
Then tried reinstall XP. Would not complete install.
Now I have nothing, no post, no cd writers, no display.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Bought a new antec PS and installed it. Ticking is still there. Disconnected all drives.... ticking is still there. Stopped cpu fan... ticking is still there.

I am at a loss. With all drives and fans stopped the ticking is still happening. It is coming from the motherboard, but what causes it?

Is the MB fried?

Thanks
JSteff

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
set it up out of the case on a piece of cardboard with
cpu
video
ram
speaker
and see if you get the ticking
check you have the correct amount of standoffs no more no less
that they line up with the holes in the m/board
usually 9

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem. The Ticking seems to be coming from the MB speaker. I can't seem to find any reason why this has started. The machine was off for a little bit (2 months) before turning it on. Nothing seems to stop it ticking. I just turned it on again and covered the speaker and it does indeed muffle the sound so seems like something on the board died.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That I am aware of. As my second post said... ALL drives were stoppedd or disconnected and replaced the PSupply. Additionally there is NO speaker on this system.
Ticking,, or clicking was still there.
I even reconnected the HD to another computer and was able to access data off of it! No clicking while connected to another system. Most bizarre computer situation I have ever seen or heard of.
Just the MB and it is clicking.. and with a very rythmic pattern. Something on the MB ... maybe the processor is clicking or ticking... even with the cpu and all other fans stopped.
Truly bizarre.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could be a berring in the CPU fan...
How fast is the ticking? .25 seconds? .5 seconds?
Does it sound like a metal tick or a plastic tick?
No as I quite clearly said, I stopped the CPU FAN and it continues. To answer other posits in the thread. Yes I tried it with the MB out so it is not arcing.

It is NOT the speaker, again there is NO speaker- in- attached- or nearby. What would adding one do except to confuse the issue?
Ram, I tried it with each stick out and mixed up the slot they were in.. still clicks.
It is a clicking at intervals of a bit less than 1 second. It sounds both electrical and mechanical. Does not sound like arcing at all.
It does not speed up or slow down no matter what I have tried.

I even ran variations of hardware, with just a linux live boot disk, with a DOS disk, nothing matters. Just click, click, click.

I have also tried it with the HD off, with all drives out, some out, some in, with a different HD, different sticks of ram... all it can be is the CPU, or something else on the board

Totally bafflig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.