Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a problem across my computers and not specific.

Each time I plug the thumb drive in to use a program and I also have the wireless mouse and its antenna attached via USB, the system will lock up the program run from the thumb drive. This is a total system freeze requiring reset.

Is there a setting in any BIOS to change interrupts or otherwise separate and give signal to both devices without a system lockup?

Additionally, a corded mouse is needed for thumb drive application. In program runs not on the thumb drive the program lockup has not happened.

· Moderator; Hardware
20,064 Posts
Multiple computers? Very odd. I'd suspect a fault/issue with the USB drive. I've used numerous drives, on multiple comuters (with and without wireless mice) without any issues.

As the only thing in common with your issue is the drive itself...

· Registered
1,310 Posts
You might need to just copy the program across all the pc's instead of running it straight from the thumb drive , the problem is most likely related to the program running it straight from thumb drive itself.

· Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might need to just copy the program across all the pc's instead of running it straight from the thumb drive , the problem is most likely related to the program running it straight from thumb drive itself.
Running from the thumb drive is a necessity because it runs a backup program.

Since only the corded mouse works with the program, what I intend to try is simply unplugging the redundant wireless mouse and proceeding with the backup from there. The sensor for the cordless mouse just sits on the desktop on a USB extension cord.

I started this routine of backup since I do not know how long any of my several floppy disk drives will be running or supported at board level. On newer boards there is no Floppy socket (necessarily) and, by turns, not enough IDE for a cd player and back up drive together on another.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
45,021 Posts
Why not backup to a USB HDD? Backing up to Floppy is going to take forever and use a million discs. Why can't you have the backup program installed on all the computers?

· Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use older gear. No USB HD here.
And I still have to try that unplug the USB mouse manuever but just didn't get around to it. The floppy can still run the backup prog.

The subject of this question is just trying to have everything stay connected with no conflicts. I do not know how to trace conflicts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.