Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. All through this problems past history(8 [email protected]!) I've noticed everyone has the automatic reboot bug. However, this is not it.

Here it goes.

I like my games. very much, good time killers, and its not work.

Now, it starts to BECOME work when i have to fix errors. becomes overtime when i lose sleep trying to fiqure it out.

At first i thought it was the CD-rom, Then my soundcard drivers. Then my Video card drivers. Now, i Think its my Motherboard bios.

This is all the evidence i have, indicating ANYTHING, prior to its crash/reboot whatever. I took this from the Event Veiwer, Its the last thing it logs, besides the machine checks ect, just before it reboots, or crashes the game.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Argh, hit tab and enter too soon, im dead tired :(

Anyways, Thats all i got.

This indicated Motherboard Bios right? or so i think. I also read that video venders might inculde bios of their own on their video cards, working with, or overwriting the motherboards Bios, Now.

Where do i go from here?!

I have the latest motherboard BIOS. ver. 1007

My computer stats.

Athlon Slot A 800
512 Ram(2 256 sticks)
ASUS K7V Motherboard
Soundblaster Live!
Geforce2 GTS
Maxtor 30 gig 7200 rpm drive
Maxtor 60 gig silent 7200 rpm drive
4x Burner
No A drive.

This error, or problem, only happens when i have been using my computer for a while using other programs ect; and i don't reboot before playing a game, or, if i have been playing that said game for a while.

Thanks for your replys everyone!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already stated in the 2 previous posts that was not the problem here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read all those, as i usually check up on previous posts and links before asking "HELP!";

Anyways, the best microsoft can do is "Contact the BIOS vendor for a possible BIOS update."

Having version k7V rev 1007 means i have the latest verion, could it be my Geforce2 GTS Bios conflicting with the motherboard ones?

Or, since this motherboard has onboard sound, and i also have a soundblaster live, woudl that cause it? Windows 95-98-ME-2k All work fine in games. But XP just crashes~!

the reboot parts been taken care of, but i want to know what kills my games!

Thanks for the replies however, keeps my brain going, maybe i just should get a pentium :upset:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I already stated in the 2 previous posts that was not the problem here.
Instead of listing what you dont think causes your problem, try listing your problem, with details. All I got out of your 2 posts was the your pc crashes/reboots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cabana1999: im going to say it slow. for you.

Not that im giving you adittude :D im just getting fustrated :)

As in the previous posts, i told you, MY COMPUTER CRASHES IN GAMES.

The only evidence of what caused this problem, is this.

"AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

Taken from the event viewer, entered just seconds before my computer decides to vomit on itself.

the rebooting was caused by windows, auto-rebooting instead of giving a blue screen of death, and that auto-reboot was taken care of.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you reboot manually or try to play the game after the reboot, does it do it again? Is it random with other software or just the game in question. You might want to try opening the case and leaving it open awhile.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I understand your frustration. I have done some research on your problem and it does indeed seem to be your motherboard BIOS, not the video card. It only occurs in XP(XP BIOS bug), all other Windows versions should work. It also very common with AMD boards. The most common solution is updating the BIOS, but you say you have the latest version. So I am not sure of a solution for yet, if I find anything else, I'll post it.

Here is a forum where alot of people are having the same problem, maybe you can find what you are looking for there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lectraplayer:

This box has enough cooling, and its only games that it pukes at.

Maybe ill just write my own BIOS :/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, found some beta drivers on www.k7v.com
A whole webpage dedicated to my motherboard. interesting.

Anyways, ill need a refresher course on flashing my bios, i haven't done it in windows XP just yet, i have 2 diffrent beta files.

KV10081D.BIN
1008.01d

Those are bios files, i guess in diffrent formats.

Also got the asus_aflash.exe 1.32.

Remember, i do not have an A drive, any help is app :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lectraplayer: also, if i reboot before playing a game, it seems fine, but once i have playied that game and go off, used other programs ect whatever, if i try to play again it will do it, seems at random times, since if it crashed as soon as some drivers, or a setting was reached, i might have more of a clue :/ but i've tried tons of vids card drivers, to no avail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've done it before, i just need a guide for it :)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hi guys,
I think xp uses NT/2000 kernel, which is different than the win98 (thats why you cant boot to DOS from XP) ...Aldough you might boot from a DOS disk, your HD needs to be FAT32 to be able to access it. Or you might use one of those flashers that work from windows...

Did you try swapping the memory...different memory sticks or try switching the memory sticks around ?

here's what I found out about the error :
0xcf8 - 0xcff is a protected memory range. 0xcfc usually stores PCI configuration settings. ACPI basically monitors read/write attempts from BIOS to this and similar memory address ranges (which it should not be done btw, because they're protected) .
There is actually a whole list of mem. addresses and I/O ports that BIOS code should not access. Why ? because BIOS AML code has the ability to permanently alter those settings to its liking instead of what it should be. That can be bad.

G/L

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, i got that from all the stuff i read online, im just curious whats making that happen. ill try taking out one of my sticks of ram, they ARE diffrent brands, one stick is cas2, i wonder if that could cause it. However, i had 512 ram back with 98, and it never crashed in games.

I loved that install. lasted a whole year, and would never crash on me.!!

best uptime with that was 2 weeks, and that was games, movies, ect, everything! i only rebooted cus it ran outta memory ;)

Maybe i should just go back :/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a rom flasher that works from windows you say.. hmm.. that would make things more easy. No idea where to get one hey..

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It could be like Norton's GHOST 2003, which has a Windows Wizard, but then boots itself to a pseudo-DOS environment and runs, and reboots Windows again. I'm pretty sure you won't be actually doing the FLASH writing in Windows. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.