Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, from what I read, Patch Tuesday for this month was yesterday. However, unlike most months, my computer didn't restart or show that it had an update ready to install. I did, however, see wuauclt.exe in Task Manager at one point yesterday. Did the update not require a re-start? Should I update manually? Were there not any patches released for XP?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I went to Windows Update manually, found the updates (it said there were only 3 for XP), it said it downloaded them, so then I rebooted. I am then greeted by the yellow shield icon with the "Updates are ready for your computer, Click here to install the updates" message. Microsoft Update said they installed. Why is it giving me this all of a sudden? So, I clicked it and told it to express install.

A couple of hours later, it looked like the computer restarted it's self, but Systeminfo said the last re-start was a couple of hours before. So, I restarted the computer, and the Shield was gone upon restarting.

So, why didn't XP pick up the update before? Also, did the updates somehow install TWICE? I don't want to corrupt the OS.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couldn't edit my last post, so I'll say this in a new post instead.
I found out what got installed twice. It was this month's update for Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. Should I remove the duplicate update or is it fine as is?

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,719 Posts
Hi it won't hurt but you can uninstall if it makes you feel better about it,the thing I have found about updtes is that some months I get them on the day and others it can be a few days,I expect it depends how busy the servers are for your area

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.