Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Westernd Digital Caviar WD800. This is/was the primary master with the OS installed. The computer woked fine one day then a couple days later I went to turn it on and nothing. It seems that none of the IDE drives were being recognized. First I thought the PSU might be going. I unplugged the power and IDE ribbons to the two DVD-ROM drives but left the HDD plugged in. Attempted to reboot and the BIOS still wouldn't see any drives. Next I plugged the two DVD-ROMs (power and IDE ribbons) and unplugged the HDD. The BIOS will now see the DVD-ROMs (secondary master & slave).

Next I removed the Western Digital and installed it in another box. Nothing.

The drive spins up but that is it. It doesn't make any funny/bad/irregular noises. There were no tell-tale signs of impending doom prior to all this. The PC worked fine, I powered it down one day, then when I tried to fire it back up nothing.

It seems obvious that the drive is dead. My question(s) are:

What, specifically, could have gone wrong?

Is there an affordable way to retrieve any of the data?

Please, no lectures on backing up regulary. At this time, a second hard drive is not financially possible. My biggest problem is some of the software that is/was on the drive requires me to call the manufacturer to get them registered. Are there any super-secrete-hard-drive-voodoo-magic chants that I could try?

Thanks,

-Lydokane-

P

·
0 Posts
I ll just be talking about the possible solutions as i can not assume what you are able to apply.

First i would install this HD as slave to a different computer to see if my data is accessable - this is the most affordable way - then I would use the OS CD recovery console and try a chkdsk /p and /r then I would clone this HD to a different HD and fill your HD with zeros ( a low level format - dban ) then cloning your data back on your HD.

You will have the signs of death during these processes. If you cant proceed with these then it will take an arm and a leg to recover the data.

Regards.

T

·
0 Posts
If you really need the data you will have to send the HD to Ontrack or is it Ontrak..ore something close. Another option is to buy a drive identical, and take the controller card off and switch with the bad drive, this works some of the times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.