Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so my desktop right now is running XP 32 bit. Works ok...but just seems like it could do more. If i upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit would i get better performance? Also, I do have some older programs and games such as GTA San Andreas, which I assume was never made with 64 bit in mind. Would that work on windows 7 64 bit?

I would love to hear your comments :)

System:
AMD Phenom x4 3.2ghz black edition
visiontek radeon 4870x2
4gb corsair dominator
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe [i think, i am in bed now though XD]
1tb cavalier black
Antec Quattro 1000w

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Hi -

I do not recommend upgrading x86 (32-bit) to x64 under any circumstance. Furthermore, Microsoft suggests those with XP systems enjoy Windows 7 on a new system. I agree.

Run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor --> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15

If you do decide to upgrade to Windows 7 x86, be very sure that you can locate drivers for ALL devices. Check in with the Device Manager.

Please keep in mind that Windows 7 and Vista are siblings; XP is a distant cousin of both. Simply passing the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor does not mean that your system is 100% Windows 7 compatible.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May i ask why not upgrade? [when i say upgrade, i mean format and install the new OS]

And enjoy on a new system...well...i only got it in the summer o.o

Note: I will run that test software

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Yes, please run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor.

That quote cam from Microsoft, not from me. Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 is tantamount to upgrading from XP to Vista - there really is very little difference, IMHO.

It cannot hurt to try and upgrade, I would just hate to see you spend the $$ on the upgrade only for it to fail. As I mentioned - be very sure that you can locate Windows 7 device drivers - check with Device Manager for those drivers needed.

jcgriff2

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...my dads friend ended up giving us his disc since he had no use for it [the company he works for gave it to him, but he already has win7...yeah].

I am sorta wondering if i would see any big difference in performance in games, going from 32 bit XP to 64 bit 7

·
Registered
120 Posts
In games Windows Seven has been built from scratch for Mutli GPU performance. XP stands nowhere in Multi GPU performance. Since you stated that you have a 4870 X2 i believe its in crossfire. Also as jcgriff2 said Please make sure your rest of Hardware Like Network Sound Etc are compatible. with Windows 7.
Here is a comparison of Windows XP Windows Vista and Windows Seven

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_7_gaming/

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so i am completely compatible. Yay.

And judging from that link you gave me Tosinv i should get slightly better fps [plus no artifacting when using crysis in the "hacked" very high settings].

So, in your opinion do you think i should upgrade to windows 7 64 bit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.