Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have desided i want to go back to school, and i was wondering what you guys thought about Online school. I want to do Software Engineering and it would be very convient to be able to do this from home, but i when i am finished i want a degree that matters and that i will have little or no problems getting at least an entry lvl job somewhere. Thank you for your insite. Below is a link to the site explaining what i have thought about doing and the school.

http://www.phoenix.edu/programs/degree-programs/technology/bachelors/bsit-se/v006.html

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
There's controversy over online schools in most subjects... I personally am against them, because of my experience of them. (in the uk, "the open university" is the equivilent and may be better/worse than the uni of phoenix i don't know). Basically most "graduates" from the ones i've seen have a much lesser knowledge than any other graduate i meet, they usually produce sub-par students whom are difficult to actually work with.

However, this is only my experience in the UK and it may be different for you. In software engineering i don't expect it would be as bad because it's likely to be a coursework assessed subject which you have to put the work in to pass.

Personally i'd say that if it's a choice between actually being back in school and doing this online, and it wouldn't make life harder to actually be studying on campus then try to study on campus. If it makes life harder in any way or is just not as easily feasable then go for an online course but choose it well and make sure you put in the extra hours on some form of portfolio so that you can demonstrate that you're good at what you do and not just an "online grad".

Either way as long as you're committed to studying a new subject you'll do well in it and get the sort of job you like, so don't take any of this too harshly. =] The key thing to do (either way) is to make a decent portfolio and spread your work over different media so that you can show prospective employers that you're good at what you do.

Cheers,
Jamey

·
Registered
56 Posts
With online classes, I would make 100% sure that I could access someone for questions. Whether it be the teacher or some sort of QA staff. Programming at the higher levels can get pretty nasty.

I'm in a programming degree at DigiPen and it is pretty hectic, but then again DigiPen is known for that. Regardless, being able to talk to someone who has a higher knowledge base in programming is extremely important in my opinion. If you are fine with reading a book then awesome, but I know I like to ask people when it comes to programming.

I hope this helps you in your decision.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
if you already have a degree from a traditional school then it's a plus because it shows you have, and are willing to, upgrade/expand your education.

if it's the first/only degree then it's a minus and would need a very impressive relevant work history to turn it into a plus. the work history can also be in a compatible field--with emphasis on transferable skills and broader knowldege base--but multi diciplined is becomming common these days so doesn't stand out that much anymore.

bottom line is a company is trying to get the best candidate for the least amount of money. but i have seen many occasions when a less qualified candidate with more personality got the job because he/she showed a lot of enthusiasm for the job, in other words the interviewer really liked the candidate. It also makes a big difference in salary offers, a big friendly smile can add ten grand to the paycheck, seroiusly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the information, my brother said pretty much the same thing (in fewer words). You guys have defiantly closed the door on it, i am going to have to suck it up and go to the campus.
Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
You definately won't regret learning on campus. Good luck =]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.