Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'Idiot Outside' - Start Up Problem!

Hi all, first time caller cos I am at my wit's end.... I know next to nothing about computers but I have searched everywhere for someone with a similar problem to no avail.

I use XP but I don't think that is what is causing my problem - When my comp has been off for a period of time (e.g. overnight) I have problems getting it back on again. The lights on the comp come on and I can hear the fan whirring but the lights on the keyboard don't come on and the monitor light just flashes (blank screen). There are no beeps...

After about 30 (no kidding) reboots, the monitor light stays on and I get the keyboard and machine to work after about another 2 or 3 reboots. Windows comes up and everything works fine. If i adjust bits and pieces and reboot then it works fine there too, so it seems to be an initial power-up problem (erm... probably).

Any ideas???????

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Sounds like a faulty power supply ... Until the hard drives get up to speed, the PS just doesn't have enough wattage to support the whole machine.

Do you have a spare PS you could try? If not, I suggest buying a new one of 400w or better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem Sorted - Thanks

Thanks for that tip - decided to be patient and let the power build up (or whatever!). Seems to have worked as I only have to reboot once now once the monitor light comes on and stays on. Grateful for help - will try new power source when i get back to civilisation (at the moment I am on a shared power supply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.