Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built my first system and it runs around 41 degrees celcius

Ive been told that is a bit high and I should apply some artic silver 5 thermal paste instead of the factory pad.

Ive been assured that there is about a 90% chance this will solve my lockup problems.

Will it void my warranty with AMD though?

· Registered
25,266 Posts
Hi,

First of all 41c is not an outlandish temperature if using the thermal pad. I do like mine slightly lower, but could live easily with that temp at idle. What is your temp under stress?

Second, there have been statements by AThlon that usage of thermal paste would violate their warranty, especially those with "silver" in them. However, if one used that and cleaned it off, who would know at the company what was on there?

Third, I don't know of one builder (myself included) that lets this keep them from using Artic Silver instead of the heatsink pad when they build a system. It just does not get any better than using Artic Silver.

Fourth, it would probably lower your temps a few degrees by using artic silver, so if you choose to do that, it might help some.

Fifth, if your temps are only 41c, then I doubt that it will help the issue you are talking about, unless you are seeing very high spikes in temperature under stress with your CPU.

There are other issues that affect temps. Why not give a general description of what type of lockup problems you have and then someone might be better able to assist.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.