Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing my old power supply which had worked fine for about two years, I installed an Antec NeoHE 500 and connected all of the cables.

When I first ran the computer, it ran fine up until approximately one minute in, when the computer restarted. I then turned the computer on again and heard four beeps from the BIOS, which apparently has to do with "timer not operational" (?). Thereafter, whenever I turn on the computer, there is no input whatsoever to the monitor and the computer restarts shortly after starting up (10 seconds).

I suspected that the problem might have to do with the dust in the computer (it was time for a cleaning, anyway), but this had no effect.

Once when restarting the computer, for whatever reason, the monitor came to life and explained that there was a CPU thermal event and that the computer had been shut down. I don't know how to fix this problem. All fans in the case are working correctly, including the processor fan. All lights turn on (floppy drive, CD drive), and I think the hard drive is working properly, because it loaded Windows on my first try.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

What are your specs? Why did you change the power supply, like did it die or what? What power supply did you have before the Antec? We just need more information that might lead us to a possible problem. Have you checked the molex plug to the motherboard?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was planning to upgrade my video card, but I first wanted to ensure that my computer wouldn't have any problems with the PSU...

Specs:
Pentium III and Intel D915PCY mobo
2x 512 MB DDR2 RAM
6600 GT
Audigy 2 Sound Card
Western Digital 200 gig & WD 70 gig
and peripherals.

The one glaring difference between these two power supplies is the connector to the motherboard. The old one was a 2x10, while this one is a 2x12. The slot on the motherboard is a 2x12, and for two years the old power supply left four slots unused, and now that I use them, it seems there's a problem! :4-dontkno

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I don't think that has anything to do with your problem. It sounds to me like something either has been hooked up incorrectly when you switched wires, or you bumped something in that rig that came loose and does not make a good connection. It still might be helpful to know what power supply was in there before so we can compare wattage, amps per rail, etc.

I think you need to go in, take another look at the cables, wires, etc. and make sure everything is connected properly.

When you cleaned it out, did you remove the CPU/Heatsink/Fan. Are you sure the Heatsink fan is hooked up to the motherboard???? Is the memory clear down in the slot and seated?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, of course:

I first had an ATX12V at 420 W, and have just installed an ATX12V at 500 W.

I just booted it up again. This time, I got ten seconds of information on the monitor, a brief glimpse at a screen that said "thermal overheating alert was detected upon last startup", and then a system shutdown.

I did try to ensure that everything is connected properly. The four beeps apparently mean that the motherboard isn't grounded correctly, but I've only gotten those twice, out of a good fifteen reboots.

I removed the CPU fan and got rid of all the dust on it, but I didn't touch the CPU nor its heatsink. The heatsink fan is hooked up and it runs smoothly. I don't know about the memory, however; I'll remove and reinsert those sticks now.

Hmm...

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Its possible that you may have inadvertantly bumped the heatsink and broken the thermal compound's seal. I would try removing the old compound, and reapplying some new. Also the Antec Neo line of psu's has had several well documented compatability issues with other mobo's, it may well be that your mobo is affected as well. Try the new compound first and see if that does the trick. I should mention that the Intel D915PCY does not support a pentium III cpu....exactly what mobo and cpu do you have ? D915PCY mobo

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Are you certain that you did not move the heatsink off the CPU, because if you did, then you need to clean and reapply that paste. This brings another issue, are you certain that when you clamped that fan back down, that you snapped it in completely??? I mean, some of those are hard to get snapped down in.

For the beep codes to tell you what might be wrong, check here:

www.bioscentral.com

Edit: That TWA types too fast for me. Good words of wisdom he gave. Thanks for the CPU thing TWA, that one passed me by.....Must be getting either tired or old, or maybe even both. :4-dontkno :4-dontkno

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Apologies, I have a Socket T, LGA775.

Where might I check to determine whether this is a compatability issue? I don't have any thermal compound on hand, so I'd have to buy some, but I don't know how futile the attempt would be :wink:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's snapped in completely. I know what you mean, though, it's always a pain to get it in there.

I don't *think* I did anything to the thermal paste, but I'll try that soon!

edit: Reseated the RAM, no change.
The beep code says that there is a "system timer failure", but I'm not even sure what this means.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

System timer Failure indicates as a rule a memory error. Try taking out all except one stick and see what happens. Make sure you check which slot you are to use for one stick only...they do vary according to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have noticed that the computer has not issued any beeps for a few hours now, so whatever the problem might have been with my memory, I suppose it has been fixed. Nevertheless I did remove one stick, and the problem continued.

There is a new pattern of events now, which occurs every time I restart the computer. It boots up, showing the Intel mobo picture on the screen, then shows that screen talking about thermal overheating, and then it shuts down while on the screen. This is pretty much constant now.

Thanks for all your help so far, by the way.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If this were mine and shutting down like that, I would stop using it until you get a chance to clean off that old stuff and put new thermal paste on there. YOu don't want to fry anything else from heat. You did make sure the heatsink fan was plugged in to the motherboard, didn't you? After you get your paste, here is the proper way to change it:'

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, thank you. So... I should purchase Arctic Silver 5 and use it?

I still don't know if Neo is even compatible with my mobo. Does anyone know where I can go to check that out?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
The compatability issue was mainly with Asus mobo's and the first release of the neo psu's, subsequant revisions of the neo by Antec rectified the problem. Although as a rule we don't typically reccomend the neo series of psu's. Since your mobo was unaffected by the issue, I don't see any reason why the neo should not work well with your current setup. I believe that applying some new AS5 will solve your overheating issue, in the mean time I don't reccomend that you attempt to use the machine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question, guys,

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to spend more money on this issue :laugh: , but I'm a bit concerned, because I don't want to have to wait 3-4 days for shipping or something. As far as I can see, I can buy ArcticSilver at a place pretty close to me, but I think it would also be wise to get ArctiClean, and that's, apparently, a lot rarer.

Suggestions? Tidbits of knowledge that I have overlooked? (please have some of those)

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Yes, use Artic Silver 5 if you can get it. However, if you can't, get a substitute and read those directions for both cleaning and applying.

Addition: If you can't get the cleaner, stop by a drug store and get a bottle of 90%+ alcohol and use that to clean it. When I am out of the artic silver cleaner, that works fine although you have to work a little harder at it.

I don't want to comment on the Neo series of Antec, because they had some problems with some motherboards (mostly Asus) about a year ago, so I just will not recommend them because I don't trust them. Antec is a great supply, but I just don't purchase that series.

Remember, I am not saying it is not a good supply, but that is a PERSONAL opinion on them....I just will not buy a Neo power supply, but instead recommend the new TRIO series in that line. They are a great power supply.

Another issue is that you need to read the power supply sticky under my signature to understand about power supplies. Then, when you get to the bottom, there is a power supply calculator you need to use. When done with that, add 30% to the result. For example, if it says you need 400 watts, then add 120 watts and you need 520 watts for a bare minumum size. What I do is run the calculator, add 30%, and then add another 75 to 100 watts on there for expansion so you won't have that problem again.

In addition, the power supply may have nothing to do with what your problem is....my opinion is that it is overheating from either (as TWA said) breaking the thermal seal while cleaning or the paste is just not doing the job for you. I do hope you put that heatsink fan blowing down and not pulling warm air up.

Let us know if we can help further.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick question.

How essential is it to use ArctiClean before using Arctic Silver 5? Or can I simply use a replacement plastic tool to remove the thermal compound?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Salutations friends,

I purchased Arctic Silver 5 and removed all old thermal compound from the heatspreader and heatsink and then applied Arctic Silver 5 following the instructions, turned on the computer, and the system turned on and shut off rather quickly.

I then reinstalled the old PSU (which had never failed me before), and then tried to turn the computer on... same problem.

So obviously, the PSU is not at fault.
I am thinking now that there might be a foreign screw, or something of the sort, improperly grounding the unit...
any suggestions, please?

I'm at a loss :upset:

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Take the motherboard out of the case and build it on a non-static surface or a piece of cardboard beside the case and use only the basics to start:

ATX connector
CPU/Heatsink/Fan connected to motherboard
12 volt molex (square one) connected to motherboard
One stick ram
On/Off switch to front panel header
speaker wire.

Nothing else....fire it up and see if it dies....if not, then add something like the video card....you get the picture...if it quits, take something away, if it stays on, then add something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good evening,

Something I have just noted.

Before I disassemble and then reassemble my computer, I want to ensure there's nothing else I can do :)

When the computer boots up, it provides me with a single beep, and shuts down shortly thereafter. According to the Intel bios beep codes (which apply to my motherboard), one beep means that there is a Refresh Error. There is, also, nothing on the screen. My video card was outputting information perfectly fine yesterday.

Can you elaborate on what a refresh error is? I'm assuming my DIMMs are related.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.