Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue

Hi, I've looked all over the internet in attempt to find a solution to a problem that's just affected my computer, and I haven't been able to find anything that relates specifically to the problem I'm encountering.

This hit my computer without warning, I switched it on this morning and it worked as normal, all of a sudden things started to freeze up. I restarted the computer, and now a lot of programs are refusing to open - Microsoft Office, among others, states "Error: There Are No More Files", whilst other programs such as Google Chrome and Internet Explorer state "Attempt to Access From Invalid Address", even when I am running them from their root folders.

I am running a Dell Latitude 830 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (2.00GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz) Dual Core, 1.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS, Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 and am obviously using Windows XP. I have scanned my system with Avast Antivirus, which didn't state that there were any viruses, so I am stuck as to what exactly the problem is.

I'd really appreciate some help in figuring out what has happened, thankyou so much for your time in reading this!

:sigh::sigh::sigh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue

I am having the same problem on the same exact hardware. i don't think it could be a hardware issue, but i could be wrong. i have tried repairing windows with no success. i'm thinking the only option is to reinstall windows completely.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Same thing for me on a Dell Latitude D620. I've reinstalled Windows, but I'd still like to know what caused it, and why my security tools didn't protect me.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have same problem.

Happened all of sudden.
Unable to launch most of programs on Dell Latitude D630.
Can't get to system restore or launch antivrus without getting
"Attempt to access invalid address"
Any ideas

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts

I am having the same issue and message - "There are no more files." on a client PC. They are running Windows XP. It started about a week ago. It happens with no apparent trigger activity, usually in the morning when the user tries to launch Outlook. A simple reboot had no effect on the error. We have discovered a circumvention that seems to work and does seem to clear the problem. If we force XP to run a check disk at the next boot, the problem goes away.

To run the XP equivalent of the old check disk, open My Computer, click once on the C drive, right click, select Properties, then Tools, in the Error Checking section, press the Check Now button. Click only the first box to fix file system errors then press the Start button. You will get a warning about "exclusive access", click the Yes button and then reboot. After the error checking process finishes and the system boots back up, the user can launch programs normallly.

I had the client run a full virus scan with Symantec EndPoint and their PC was clean. We are puzzled as to the exact cause of the error and how to permanently fix it. We are thinking it might be a bad Microsoft patch or the patch download and install process. The PC is powered up 24 x 7 and was set for automatic Windows updates at 3AM. The error condition will happen about 3 out of 5 mornings. We changed the Microsoft automatic update feature to notify only in an attempt to see if the error and the automatic update process are related.

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts

ITMKeith,

Thanks for the help.
your method seemed to get around the problem. I was able to run AVG virus software scan while in safe mode and found nothing. Odd problem, I wonder why it came up all of a sudden as such.
Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts

ilandsurvey, I'm happy the work-around helped. Re-installing XP is such a time consuming resolution. I agree, it is a very odd problem.

My client with this problem has not done automatic Microsoft updates for two days now and the error has not come back. They changed their setting to "Notify" and they have not installed any Microsoft fixes or patches. We don't want to stay in this mode for very long, just buying some time to see if the update process and the error appear to be related.

If and when we can get a final resolution, I'll post it to this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I worked with Microsoft technical support and was able to resolve this problem. The final solution was to run a check disk (chkdsk) from the Windows XP CD. To do this you have to boot from the Windows XP CD and go into the Recovery Console, option "R". You will also have to know the Administrator password for that computer. If you have never setup a password for the Administrator account, a blank password will work. This is probably not something the average PC owner should attempt by themself.

Microsoft said the version of check disk that is on the Windows XP CD is more powerful than the check disk that you run from the hard drive properties. I was instructed to run the check disk repeatedly until it stopped fixing errors. In this case, I only had to run it twice. This process took almost two hours.

The actual cause of the problem was that a Windows folder used for automatic updates, C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution, had gotten corrupted. After following the Microsoft instructions, I tested the PC and turned the updates back on. The PC is running fine and the problem has not returned.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This has nothing to do with the corruption of files, your machine activated an EXE that modified the reg entries so you cant run any EXE.

did you open a word doc marked as UPS_INVOICE and nothing happened >?--well it did.

you got nailed.

working on this now on a client system.

SYMANTEC DID NOT PICK IT UP...ON FIRST PASS.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Yes this is MOST DEFINITELY a virus of some sort.

It started about 24 hours ago when I was browsing some Chinese websites and I got a popup that said "your computer is being attacked by a virus, would you like to stop it." I didn't recognize it so I right clicked+"properties" to see where it was, sure enough it was an HTML embedded in an EXE (C:/Windows/system32/[something].exe/something.html)

I searched and saw that was a virus, so I killed the process and deleted the file. Within 1-2 hours I ran into the "there are no more files" error when I tried to open notepad and wordpad, ended up just using MS Word. AT THE SAME TIME, my computer started doing something weird where it was constantly checking for a disk in the A:\ drive. I thought it might be a drive malfunction but there's no way, I never use the A:\ drive.

Curious, I put an ancient 3.5 disk with some old docs on it in and my computer copies two files to the A:\, SYSTEM.EXE and an autorun script. The autorun script is dated today. SYSTEM.EXE is dated 48 hours ago, and is a known virus (try searching for it).

So there's some process on my computer right now which (a) has created the "there are no more files" error and (b) is trying to replicate itself via 3.5" disk? What?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am also facing the same problem on DEL 620 running windows xp SP2. I tried running AVG and superantispyware. Also i ran the check disk (not with Windows XP CD). The problem is still there. Could any please suggest what to do?

·
Registered
4 Posts

To the last poster - You indicated that you didn't run the check disk from the recovery console (Windows XP CD). I made the same mistake. What I didn't realize was that the check disk program you run from inside the recovery console (booted from the XP CD), is more effective and fixes more drive errors.

At the time a client had this problem, I couldn't resolve it and opened a trouble ticket with Microsoft. Being a Microsoft Partner sometimes has benefits. The Microsoft technician reviewed the problem, tried some patches and finally asked me to run the check disk from the recovery console. Having already run it several times from inside XP and not fixing the problem, I was reluctant to waste any more time. The technician explained that running check disk in the recovery console is more effective at fixing drive errors. I did as the technician instructed and the problem was fixed. It has been over 8 months and the problem has not come back.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have this same problem. I have tried running chkdsk from the XP CD and it didn't work. This is only effecting one of the profiles on the computer. The virus/error is not present when logging into the other accounts. If anyone can pinpoint the actual files that's launching the .exe (process) that's creating the problem, that'd be great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.