Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

reborn newbie to this forum (last used over a year ago and lost my login and password somewhere in the ether.....)

I'm possibly shooting for the moon here, but is there one tool somewhere that could tell me why.......

(1) My laptop won't reboot after using some progs, but not others
(2) Sometimes Firefox starts up, an sometimes it gets halfway (in Task Manager) then hangs
(3) Sometimes apps run fine, sometimes slowly, and sometimes not at all
(4) and (5) and (6), etc, etc

What I'm looking for, I guess, is a resident monitor that can look at my system as it boots and compare the bootup to previous bootups and log faults/changes, then monitor the op system as it boots, then monitor each app, etc etc

To take the first problem above: when I fire up and then reboot immediately, it's fine. But if I've used FireFox, the reboot command won't operate, nor will the shutdown, and I'm forced to hold down the power switch which obviously prevents XP from shutting down properly, thus causing a whole new set of problems. I've done a raft of (painfully slow) sys restores recently, but the problem persists. I've scanned using CC, SpySweeper, ZoneAlarm, ewido, Avast and Ad-Aware but - apart from a few naughty cookies - there doesn't seem to be anything there that shouldn't be. I always run RegSeeker and Ace Utilities before every shutdown to clean the registry, and I use Advanced Windows Care from IObit every so often to 'tune' various settings. I've looked at reports from sysinternals tools (rootkit finder, startup monitor), but don't see anything out of the ordinary.

I NEED HELP!

Any comments, suggestions, offers of large hammers, etc will be gratefully accepted!

I'm even willing to look at someone charging me for looking at my laptop via remote assistance, if any of you run such a service.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
There is one from Iolo, as a part of System Mechanic 6. You can try it out. But remember it will [and all like this] will consume a lot of resources.

:wave:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.