Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my computer, it is constantly restarting, and upon reboot is displaying a dialog box with the error message "The system has recovered from a serious error"

When I click to see what data is contains the error signature is:
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : F243B3D7 BCP3 : B6D6CA28
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I have submitted the error report and it comes up saying that it is a driver issue. I have also searched google and found other people who say that it is also a driver issue, this is weird because I have not changed my hardware configuration in a month, so I cannot think of anything that would prompt this change.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello,
You may be in for some fun - troubleshooting the dreaded 0x0000008e (0x0000005....... error. What you have found so far is sometimes true - driver related.

What makes this problem so hard to troubleshoot is the general lack of any concrete solutions to be found, on the Internet or in any one case.

Being that it is generally hardware or driver related, the cause of these failing can be anything. It could be malware, it could be recently installed software.

When the error occurs to you, it seems the system restarts. By default XP is set to restart upon critical error. One way to possibly get more information is to disable restart upon error, which you can do from the boot menu (the same one from which you enter safe mode. Hit F8 upon restart to access this menu.)

Now when the error occurs, you will get a Blue Screen of Death with more detailed error information. Sometimes, an exact driver file is listed, which will make your search for a solution that much easier.

As it seems you can boot into Windows, you can always use the event viewer to find more detailed information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already tried new ram in the computer, which didn't fix the problem (I was given advice that this might work).
I did manage to get the blue scree to stay up long enough for me to record it its contents were:
Stop: 0x0000008E (0x0000005 0xF24453D7, 0xB9BE2A28, 0x00000000)
system32:lzx32.sys - Address F24453D7 base at F2443000, datestamp 45c2c44

I will try uninstalling some of the software that I have most recently put on, and if that doesn't work, I am going to try a clean installation of windows on the computer.

I could also try to un-install my video driver and re-install it (if that would help). Do you, or anyone else, have any more suggestions of what I need to/should do?
Once again, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same problem but have not seen the stop error yet to determine its exact cause. I do have screenshots of the minidump but cannot tell what is causing the error. Any help? Here is the bottom half of the dump file. I'll have to edit the first half so it will fit as an attachment. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
One cause of the problem can be a corrupted login profile. A good guide is to log in as a different user or as the Administrator and see if it keeps happening. If not, then the original login profile has been corrupted.

The best fix is to log in as the Aministrator, go to Documents and Settiings and rename the login name to <name>_old. This preserves the data you have under that original account name.

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts. Select the login account name and select Delete and select Delete Files (it won't delete the files, because you just renamed the directory in the previous step).

Create a new user account with the original (or different) login name. Close the User Accounts.

Reboot and log in with the new login account.

You can copy data from the <name>_old directories to the new account, but be selective -- something in that tree is corrupt and you don't need to import it to the new account!

Good luck.

Rob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.