Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I own a Gateway MT6728 with Windows 7 x64. More system details found here. I recently bought two sticks of 2GB Ram of the specified type and tried to install them, but as Windows loads, the blue screen flashes indicating a memory error flashes and then the pc restarts. On checking Bios I found that all the memory is registered, it just messes up when windows starts to load.

I did the following things to test:
  1. Tested one 2Gb stick at time with original 1Gb sticks. Both 2Gb sticks work with original 1Gb stick. So Both 2Gb sticks are in working order. But they don't work together.
  2. Pc has 2 RAM slots, system works when original 1GB RAM stick in Front slot and 2GB Ram in Back slot, but not in reverse. If a 2Gb Ram stick is in the Front Slot, then the PC breaks in the behavior described above.
I don't know what this means or how I could fix it so I can use all 4Gb instead of 3Gb. Any help would be appreciated.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
Manufacturer specs listed below

2048 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 × 1024)
Operates at 533 MHz
Total slots: 2 DDR2 slots | Available slots: 0 DDR2 slots
What is the specs of the RAM that you are trying to install?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 per slot is the Max you can use in your laptop.
*MT6728 Notebook- 2048 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 × 1024)*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently have a 1GB 667MHz DDR2 in one slot and a 2GB 667MHz DDR2 in the other slot and it works fine.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
hi redwolf98,

the crucial webpage lists 2gig maximum for that model.

now, the Intel GL960 chipset does support up to 4gig BUT that depends on the mobo manufacturer wiring it to use full capability--and often as not many manufacturers don't use the full capability of a chipset.

so, likely what your experiencing is an anomaly of the system switching from interleaved (matched 1gig modules) to asymmetric (mismatched 1gig + 2gig modules).

i'm not familiar with gateway bios but you could try checking the bios settings see if you can set memory as asymmetric only.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
oops...editing my cut/paste error
now, the Intel GL960 chipset does support up to 4gig BUT that depends on the mobo manufacturer wiring it to use full capability--and often as not many manufacturers don't use the full capability of a chipset.
now, the Intel GL960 chipset does NOT support up to 4gig, it is 2gig maximum.

BUT it's possible a newer chipset was installed so you would need to verify that with a program like PCWizard or CPUZ.

(it also depends on the mobo manufacturer wiring the chipset to use full capability--and often as not many manufacturers don't use the full capability of a chipset.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.