Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator Hardware Team
13,129 Posts
i personally like the new edge Chromium the only browser i use at home here at work i use just edge its on a win 7 machine

·
Windows Tech Team
1,035 Posts
Also, even if you can, there is really no point if you look at what's coming, and soon, in removing the Windows Update installation of new edge.

If memory serves, it's going to be 20H2 (which is the second feature update this year, which has yet to have its target month named) where original Edge will be no more, and there's absolutely no choice about that if you are keeping up to date with Windows 10.

When you add to that the fact that the Chromium-based Edge behaves just so much better than original Edge getting rid of it makes no sense.

·
288 Posts
What's actually coming is the end of Windows as we know it. Edge, will remain there for quite some time (old edge) because it's merely and extension of IE, which in turn is an extension of old Windows code, which in turn runs Windows update. My guess is that the move to a linux/android combo based OS is coming with a legacy windows shell much like we basically have a Windows OS now with a linux shell with the terminal. Only then will you see the actual end of the old edge. FWIW you can simply use add/remove and remove the new edge and instantly the old edge is back.

·
288 Posts
I've only heard good things about the Chromium based Edge so far but, if you don't like it or just plain want to get rid of it, heres some good news.

How to uninstall Microsoft Edge forced-installed via Windows Update
It's actually quite good it's merely a slimmed down version of Chrome with the ability to use the usual Chrome extensions. Not all but most. It's a very quick browser but so was the old Edge. Old Edge look better with many webpages but also suffered the legacy fate of the older MS code & HTML thusly some sites didn't look right or render correctly up to the the more modern web standards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts