Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once every now and then I run 'Scandisk', and there is usually a problem that is something like...
'Windows has found [x] bytes (usually a lot) of lost file fragments on your HDD. They can sometimes be important files or folders, but are probably just taking up space.'

I always did the 'convert fragments into files' rather than the 'delete fragments to free more space', but over time it's taken up a lot of space on the HDD. At least a few gigabytes I reckon.

Is there any way I can locate these files again so I can delete them to free up space? And is there really any need to be careful about what they do? Scandisk said they were most likely useless, but I guess I'm too careful. Any help/advice?

Thanks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi Kittay

I think ScanDisk's default location for saving the lost file fragments is in the root directory of your computer (on a Windows Me system, this is usually on the C drive [simply C: --not within any specific folder, such as Windows, or Program Files]. The files usually have the extension of ".chk". The filenames usually contain numbers that increment as more files are found (File0001.chk, File0002.chk, File0003.chk, etc.).

You can look for them with Windows Explorer.

I've deleted these sorts of files for years and years, and never had any problem. Most of the file-fragments are created during application or system crashes, and you've most likely re-created newer versions of any compromised files long since. I've actually never known anyone who needed anything saved in a "file000n.chk" file. So it's fairly unlikely that it will harm anything if you want to delete these.

Such file-fragments don't usually take up that much room, so if it's disk-space you're looking to save, it might be temp files that are filling up in some of their hard-to-find places. You can try a run of Disk Clean-up to help with that (Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Clean-up). And you can limit how many restore points you are saving in the System Restore folder (by moving the slider bar off the maximum setting a little bit).

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi, OldGrayGary is correct. I usually have a look at the .CHK files to see what they are. In over 18 yrs of Windoze I have never found one worth saving but I don't write Novels etc. If power is lost while the System is saving the latest chapter of your biography or novel, most of the data may have been sent to the Drive, but without the house keeping needed to find it again. When Scandisk finds data without directory (Folder) info it makes the .CHK file. If it's text you can rename it .TXT and use a text editor to recover the part that is still readable and import it into your word processor. Beats retyping the whole chapter again.

Hope this helps a bit, OldGrayJim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.