Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The linux is so exciting and cool..:) all the commands are intresting
and deiffrent from windows..=) i've been found by my self some basic command such as (wget,mkdir,dir,./,perl <file> etc.), much harder and complicated than win - as i said kinda exciting.

what do you think about it?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Well, my experiences with it haev been less than enjoyable (I used to have RH 5.2), but the newer versions of almost all the distrobusions look very promising.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Its a great system depending on what you want to do, what kinds of hardware you have to do it with, and what release you have. Basically it will do anything Windows will do with the exception of games, main stream programmers just don't code for Linux yet so from a gaming standpoint you will be lacking. But everything else is very nice these days. :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had this very discussion with a friend over aim tonight :) I love Linux and sans the gaming support it rawks :) I never had this degree of customization, or control over an OS and its just so cool heh.

And wget is something that I'd use Linux for just for it ! LOL.. wget, awk, sed, perl <infile> gcc and all of it :) For someone who wants to program on the cheap side, its a very good way to get into it.. ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotissues68 said:
I had this very discussion with a friend over aim tonight :) I love Linux and sans the gaming support it rawks :) I never had this degree of customization, or control over an OS and its just so cool heh.

And wget is something that I'd use Linux for just for it ! LOL.. wget, awk, sed, perl <infile> gcc and all of it :) For someone who wants to program on the cheap side, its a very good way to get into it.. ...
indeed:tongue2:

·
Registered
60 Posts
emacs rules so hardcore. unfortunately, my linux/unix experience is always limited to school machines. my prob is that my main machine (read fastest) has some compatibility issues with linux distros and crashes too much. i just got a friends old machine that im gonna try with either redhat, mandrake, or suse real soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Linux is cool. It is just the way you want to use it that matters.
IF you are looking for server class stuff you must learn the commands.
Else Just install X and some desktop like KDE or Gnome (I prefer KDE) . That makes linux really easy and wonderful to work with... :)
Have a nice day
Regards
Amar

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
An interesting way to think of it is that Windows is like a honda civic- everybody has it but it isn't really that great. Linux is the touchy old stingray you buy as a restoration project. It starts out a little rough but once you get it set up correctly it's really great.

Ok, so I'm a loser

·
Registered
7 Posts
Windows is the like Honda Civic.
But Linux is more or less like hummer... ;)

amar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.