Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The file does not have a program associated with performing this action"..w/ a twist

So, I got the Win 7 Antivirus Malware about a month ago, and it messed my computer up. I tried cleaning the registry, and this and that, to no avail, and finally decided to buy Malwarebytes, and fix it, since it seems to be the most popular option. Well, I did, and it seems to have cleared the virus itself, but unfortunately, it left me with all the cleanup of the destruction of my laptop. While the virus was active, it wouldn't let me open programs at all. After I cleared the virus, I STILL couldn't open programs, BUT I found that if I right clicked and "run[ran] as administrator", it would open the program no problem.
Well, I've been doing this ever since, and 90% of my computer usage is restored. EXCEPT for Windows 7 pages with hyperlinks. For example. I CANNOT change my screensaver, because the button to change it is a hyperlink, and as soon as I try to click on it, it sends me right to back to square one "This file does not have a program...".
Ok, so, I tried looking online for a fix. I found one for an old thread on this website that seemed to work for everyone who did it. So, I tried, BUT, here's the twist:
I can open the Regedit through my trick of right click - "run as administrator". BUT, when I go to the destination (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command.) to change the value to "%1" %*
...it shows me this :
"Cannot Edit: Error reading the value's content"

funny thing is this is the only value destination that will not let me edit it. I don't know if I did something to it in the process of clearing the virus, but there's gotta be an easy fix for this. No? ....Even if it's a hard fix, I need to do this. If not, I'd have to re-install Win 7, and I didn't buy it, it came with the computer.
So....help?

-H.

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts
Re: "The file does not have a program associated with performing this action"..w/ a t

Hi, binary files have to be imported using correct syntax or they will not work. In some instances existing keys have to be deleted first. Make it easier for you run the attached .zip file double click on the returned .reg file and agree to add to registry. Safe returns to defaults. Restart computer.

View attachment 2012Virus.zip

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: "The file does not have a program associated with performing this action"..w/ a t

nope, didn't work chum. I downloaded the zip, opened it, and when it asks me if I want to add it, I say yes, and I get a Window from the Resitry Editor, that says "Cannot import c:\ yada yada yada: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

So, it won't let me do it.
Any ideas? Sounds like I have to stop some processes, or close something...or....I don't know. I'm not a techie. That's just what it sounds to me.
I'll appreciate your help.

:)

By the way, I did it in normal mode AND safe mode.

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi, Open a cmd prompt as admin and type:-
Code:
assoc.reg=regfile
(press enter) Restart computer run the .zip again.

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi, if the assoc doesn't work, lets look at what you have there:-

Open a CMD prompt as admin and copy paste:-

Code:
reg query "HKCR\exefile\shell\open\command">0 & notepad 0
(press enter) post the notepad outcome here.

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi, relax, you appear to have a "locked" registry key, this is troublesome as it indicates this Virus has become more sophisticated OR you are just plain unlucky.

It will take me some time to write instructions for how to "unlock" the key and I am very busy at the moment. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi, Open msconfig (win + r key type:- msconfig) "services" and check "hide all MS services", Uncheck all others, apply and ok out. Restart computer (don't forget to undo this when finished)

Go to START>SEARCH and type in Regedit. Regedit.exe will appear in the Start window.

Right click on Regedit.exe and select "Run as administrator".

Unlock reg key:-

1. Open Regedit.

2. Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT by clicking on the + sign next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

3. Scroll down the registry keys until you find the registry key "exefile".

4. Right click on the registry key named "exefile" and select Permissions from the menu.

5. Click on Advanced.

6. Select the Owner tab.

7. In the "Change owner to" window, highlight the one that is your personal user account.

8. Checkmark "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".

9. Click on Apply. Your personal user account should now be in the Current Owner box.

10. Click on OK. You should now be back to the Security tab.

11. Click on OK.

12. Again, right click on the registry key named exefile and select Permissions from the menu.

15. In the "Group or user names:" window, highlight the one that is your personal user account.

16. In the Permissions for (your user name), the Full Control and Read boxes should be checked under Allow.

17. Click on OK to close the Permissions window.

If this is the case then run the .zip file I posted again. If your user account does not have Full Control, click on Advanced.

In the Permissions entries window, highlight the entry with your user account name.

18. Checkmark the box "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent.".

19. Click on Edit

20. In the Permissions window, check mark all the boxes under Allow.

21. Check mark the box "Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container only.".

22. In the Apply to: window, it should be "This key and subkeys".

23. Click on OK.

24. Click on Apply and OK.

25. Click on Apply and OK. Now try the .zip file

If this fails you will need to expand + exefile \ shell \ open, highlight "open" ( right click it and select permissions, and run the above permissions on it)

After this try the .zip again Let us know how you get on.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well, sorry to say chum, this HALF worked. I successfully got my user account to have full control on the permissions window, but that seemed to do nothing for the registry. The zip file still doesn't work, programs still pop the "This file does not have a program" window, and I still cannot change the value of the dest. at the registry.
Sorry my man. I'm pretty close to giving up on this, I don't know about you......

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi, when you open regedit and navigate to this key what do you see? Could you copy it here. This is a regini script to grant permissions to this key. Run the attached .zip file and double click the returned .vbs file to run, Restart computer, see if you can manually modify the value then.

View attachment per.zip

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I'm going to start attaching pics of what I'm seeing, maybe it'll spark something. I couldn't open the .vbs file, I get this message. "No application is associated with the specified file for this operation."

Attachments

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi, you didn't show me what you have under the errant key in registry Please do so.

Your file assoc appear to be in a mess this may be the result of your attempts to clean the virus you should post on our security forum for help before attempting to remove a virus it is a specialized job.

Run the attached .zip file it will return a .bat file right click on this file and select "run as administrator" this will reset assoc to default.

View attachment Assoc.zip

NOTE: If you have a zip program (such as winzip) this will change the assoc simply open the program and agree to allow it to change the assoc)

After you let me see what is in the registry I will get back to you.

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi. my post 8# run the permissions on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (right click select permissions), the account you are using has admin privileges right?

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi, somethings just not working right for you here, lets try the following.

Go to start , search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
 reg add HKCR\regfile\shell\RunAs\command /ve /d "regedit.exe \"%1\""
press enter

Restart computer.

Next in the code box copy ALL below, open notepad and paste into. Then in notepad select "save as" select "all files" and save as EX.reg and save to desktop. Locate the saved file and right click on it. You will now find you have an option "run as administrator" select this and agree to add to registry.

Let us know how you get on.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ooh, nice try. I really thought this would work....I'm sorry.
The first part worked, with the CMD code....it said it was done successfully. But the second didn't do it....sorry.

Attachments

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts

Hi, did you run msconfig as asked in the earlier post and are all non MS services not running? What happened when you tried to change permissions on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT?

This key should not be locked by default, perhaps your user profile is corrupt we could return system wide permissions, however this is complicated. Try to create a new user account make it admin then see if the reg mod will work... no chance you have a system restore point before all this started is there?

It is important that you tell me what you have done so I can follow the process, so if I ask you to do something let me know what happens when you try.. there should be a solution for this.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1. Yes, all Non MS are NOT running. I never turned them back on
2. I was able to give all permissions to my user account. Full control, read, and special permissions.
3. I'll try to create a new user account and try the regedit.
4. No restore point. If I had one, I wouldn't be in this predicament.
5. I'll definitely keep posting the pics of the progress (or lack thereof).

But, I don't know know what else to tell you, bub. I'm definitely not an expert on this. If worse comes to worst, I'll probably end up buying Windows 7 and Reinstalling the OS.

I have faith in you. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.