Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there!

Excuse me, as I'm new, but I hope this is in the right place.
I was recently torrenting some things with Vuze, however my computer froze up and wouldn't respond for a few hours. So, after waiting, I forced it to power-down. However, when I rebooted, I opened Vuze, and my torrent Library was empty. After trying a few things, I figured I should try to uninstall and reinstall Vuze. When it came to running the installer, when I attempted to reinstall, the installer told me that I didn't have permission to set the file directory. Then I tried to open some programms and I was met my this nasty little message (each program is slightly different) as a note coming from the task bar:

the file system structure on the disk is corrupted and unusable. Please run the Chkdsk utility on the Volume C:.
Opening iTunes, I get that message along with a dialogue which says:
The folder "iTunes" is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder.
Then it fails to open.

Word, along with the taskbar message, says:
Work could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable.
It opens, but the save icon is unresponsive.

Steam opens without any problems. Spotify freezes on starttup. Attempting to install AVG TuneUp to fix the problem, I get the dialog box:
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG PC Tuneup\DuplicateFileFinder.exe

An Error occurred while trying to create a file in the destination directory:
The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.
Clicking Ignore just makes the dialogue box appear again with a different file name.

I figured system restore would fix the issue, but when I opened it, I had no restore points! Please! Help me! I haven't got a clue what's going on.

I'm running Vista, Home Premium, 32bit.

(By the way, this is the first time I've logged on. But whenever I have a problem, this site is always my first port of call, you guys are so helpful to everyone! Thanks!)

Please help! I'm not amazing computer literate, but I can do most things! So please dumb down any explanation a bit

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Hopefully you have backups.

you go to accessories and command prompt. right mouse click on command prompt and chose run as administrator.
in the black command prompt box type chkdsk /r and hit enter.
answer yes to the question and then type exit.
reboot the computer so chkdsk runs

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Hello! First it is a bad idea to run P2P software like bittorrent Vuze, utorrent and download torrents. They can have viruses coming from other people. 2nd We do not help people here about torrent software. As mentioned by samromeo you might be infected with malware which might be changing file directory permissions. We can not help you here with infections that is not are speciality here.

Go to the Virus Help Instructions link in my signature follow all instructions to a T. Perform all task they might have you do so you can get a clean bill of health.

Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.