Tech Support Forum banner
1801 - 1820 of 1838 Posts

· Registered
10,000 Posts
I'm slowly working my way through the various 'Auto' settings just to get a base-line' on what this camera can do and what it's (if any) weaknesses are - I can then (hopefully) adjust/compensate for them manually.

The fireworks photos that I posted earlier were all taken using the 'Fireworks' mode auto-settings, I'm well happy with the results so any further displays can be set to auto, leaving me time to frame the shots.
Now that I have my camera I am time poor. First I had jobs like painting also I have a part time job and I have had four afternoon shifts straight. I had August and September travelling and then the next three months with no work, it is either a feast or a famine with this job. Fortunately tonight is the last shift but the kids and grandkids will be here in two days for Christmas and so much to do before they get here so I will have to rely on purely automatic on the camera till after they go back. My Hoya Pro1 digital Filter (Circular polarising) turned up today from Hong Kong. That was amazingly fast the date on the invoice was 14th and today is the 17th.

@ DF what a stunning vimeo from all around the globe, quite spectacular.

If I don't get back here before, I wish you all a merry Christmas. Lets hope it is a good one with peace to all. The weather is so changeable here, we are expecting a temperature of 33C Friday 42C on Saturday and then Sunday 24C with 25C on Monday Hopefully not too hot on Christmas

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
I saw that Sydney was blatted by a tornado t'other day, winds up to 230Km/hour not good

Although it's been mild temps here, it's either gloomy weather or wet weather, or both :grin: - None are good for photography though, my last camera suffered after getting a soaking, I don't want to risk this new one too :sigh:

I wish everyone here a great and happy Christmas, along with the same for the New Year :thumb:

· Registered
10,000 Posts
Hi WereBo no work for me today, as in paid work but work for my managing director, she washed the inside windows and I did the outside while Charlotte watched in the shade.... she doesn't know it yet but she will get a bath tomorrow morning so that she smells sweet for the kids arriving Sunday. I'm feeling pooped from working and it is warm today I have just had a nice cool beer and feeling relaxed now so will unpack my new circular polarised filter and check it out. Touch wood, I don't want to try out my camera in the wet but camera and lens are supposed to be splash proof. This guy runs it under the tap

· Moderator, Design Team
12,739 Posts
@ Sandy...hope you and your camera....oh, and your family too, are all holding up under the extreme temps you've been having over there...we are just starting to get up to the mid to high 30's over the weekend. :angry: ha, ha...the problem with photography as a hobby is that we start to suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) even on a low scale this can get quite expensive and addictive :laugh:

@ WereBo...yep, poor old Sydney got flogged...two and a bit hours north here and all we got was 20 min of high winds and torrential rain thank goodness.

@ DF...nice video :thumb:

· Registered
10,000 Posts
Thanks zulu our kids are arriving on Sunday so they will be travelling in the heat.
Saturday here will be 42C and then we get a change on Sunday of 28C but Port Augusta will be hot. Yes GAS is an apt description :grin:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
42C sounds rather nasty, London reached approx 32C several years ago and that was near unbearable, even with fans and everything whirring away - Then again the UK isn't used to such high temps, peak summers average at about 26C-28C(ish)

I did consider washing my Fuji after it got soaked (some idiot thought it would be fun to drive through a large puddle at speed, throwing a wall of dirty water over 2 friends visiting from America, the missus and me+camera. When I tipped the camera down, the water gushed out from around the lens, so I immediately took the memory-card and battery out.

When I got home I opened all the little covers etc. and left it in the airing-cupboard for a couple of days, then tested it. Everything worked fine except that the zoom-ring (around the shutter-release button) occasionally jammed on, usually during a critical-shot of a moving subject :nonono: - I tried blatting it with a can of compressed-air with no luck, though I decided against trying WD40, it seemed too risky with all the glass bits nearby..... :grin:

· Registered
10,000 Posts
32 in London would be uncomfortable because you would get more humidity than we get here. Over in zulu's part of Oz it gets humid as well, as we have found while visiting our son different times. I don't think it will get to 42C here as predicted as we have a good cloud cover it is just past 12:30 here (afternoon) and it is 38C outside. Charlotte has just had a bath and is cool and comfortable inside.

It was a shame for your camera and it would be hard to get the grit out.

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
The humidity here does get dire at times, especially as I live very near the main route into London, our 'rush-hour' lasts all day, then we get the night traffic too - The pollution is one of the main causes of my asthma/emphysema.

Getting the grit out the camera would entail a major dismantle, which would cost more than the camera's now worth, hence the new replacement :lol:

Has Charlotte found anything icky to roll in, since she had her bath? :grin:

· Moderator, Design Team
12,739 Posts
Summer in the Land of Oz often means bushfires...this one has been burning for the last few days at Williamtown about 45 min drive from me and the site of a RAAF base and commercial airport. Luckily no injuries and minimal property loss...just a lot of delayed flights for holidaymakers.

the resulting smoke haze has given some nice golden hour opportunities to us photographers:

· Registered
10,000 Posts
Has Charlotte found anything icky to roll in, since she had her bath? :grin:
Not yet but she is on a special bland diet of Chicken rice and carrot as she has itchy skin and she walks away with rice on her nose that falls off and gets rice everywhere :grin:

@ zulu that smoke would be uncomfortable for anyone with respiratory problems.

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Excellent pics Zulu, I see what you mean about the bonus for golden-hour :lol:

The drifting smoke could be a mixed-blessing, depending on what wood is burning - Eucalyptus is used in a lot of meds for clearing congestion etc. :wink:

· Premium Member
12,471 Posts
The drifting smoke could be a mixed-blessing, depending on what wood is burning - Eucalyptus is used in a lot of meds for clearing congestion etc. :wink:
Normally used with Steam vapour werebo ... smoke from any source has a lot of particles in it that wouldn't do your lungs any good! But you probably knew that :smile:

· Registered
5,027 Posts
Normally used with Steam vapour werebo ... smoke from any source has a lot of particles in it that wouldn't do your lungs any good! But you probably knew that :smile:
It seems a lot of US States are coming around to a contrarian view of that premise, what with the "pot" laws being liberalized. I foresee a return to increasing rates of lung diseases which had been declining steadily in the recent health statistics. :banghead: :nono:

I have a younger brother who "experimented" heavily in that crap back in the 80's and now is suffering with a variety of breathing maladies, as is his wife who was the one who lead him down that path. :nonono:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
I reckon there'll be more lung-diseases and COPD caused from air-pollution than pot-smoking, there's more kids around London suffering with asthma, from traffic exhaust pollution than ever before (me too, my asthma/emphysema is air-polllution related).

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
First post here for the new year and I decided to revisit where I had my 1st photo-shoot 4ish years ago, at Canada Water, in Rotherhithe. A new camera back then and a new camera now
- Original post here Afternoon out with new camera

The builders have finally finished the odd-shaped building (Rotherhithe Information-Centre, posh name for a library... :nonono:) since my last photo... :grin:

I like the pose in this, but it's a tad off-focus.....

Bettter focus, but this Nikon is a lot faster than my old Fufi, hence a bit off-centre - I'll get then hang of this camera soon(ish) :wink:

Photo-bombed by a gull....

Sadly the tribute to the dock-workers who used to work here, back when it was all docks, is completely overgrown now, this is the only spot where it was almost visible :sad:

Looking back to the shopping-centre....

Back when the area was a working dock, this was the Dock-Manager's Offices, now small-business offices....

I decided to quit at this point, slightly above freezing and my fingers were almost too numb to operate the camera any more

· Registered
5,027 Posts
I decided to quit at this point, slightly above freezing and my fingers were almost too numb to operate the camera any more
Sure must beat the heavy winds and rains you folks have experienced of late across the pond!

That "library" looks like a diamond very much in the rough!

What's with all these odd shaped, often butt-ugly buildings of late?? :question:

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
The cold is a bit of a mixed blessing really, OK it kills off a lot of troublesome bugs and diseases, but it's a major dread for flood victims when the ground/buildings freeze whilst still waterlogged, walls crack and property is left useless :(

I don't know what our 'architects' are up to nowadays, our government plus local councils are determined to shoe-horn as many people as possible into any and every spare space possible. Architects design 'modern-looking' blocks then the builders construct 'em as cheap as possible. Some new flats (apartments) have a life-expectancy of just 15 years, yet cost £x00,000 to buy :nonono:

Another clump of classic 'ticky-tacky' boxes, on the road from Greenwich, SE London (taken some years ago).....

Who on earth thought of putting a skate-board ramp on top of a block flats? :grin:

This one is a short distance upriver from the Tower of London and Tower Bridge, I think it's the Addams Family's new London residence..... :lol:

· Administrator, TSF Manager
30,575 Posts
Very nice pics, Bo........:thumb:

Wonder what the architects were smoking when they came up with the design for the library?? Even the Longaberger office was a nightmare for engineering.

We were not allowed to work inside the building when the 'handles' were set in place. If either piece 'got away' it would be bad news for the interior crews........each handle only weighs 75 tons. The offices are situated on the perimeter and the center of the building is a full height atrium......not much there to keep a 'handle' from slicing through the entire structure. Things went according to plan with no mishaps.

1801 - 1820 of 1838 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.