Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my computer has been suffering from a number of problems over the past year or so. Some of the problems that have and still are occurring are....frequent crashes for no reason, blue screen of death (then it crashes) and frequent cryptic error messages while performing typical activities like moving files, folders or extracting files (WinRAR). I took my computer into a tech shop and they looked at it and said I have no viruses or major problems that they could detect. The only problem that was an issue was my graphics card was not up to date, so they fixed that. Im getting sick of my computer crashing anywhere from 1-5times a day. Also I can no longer extract files that I download. It just comes up with an error message. Im thinking that maybe one of my 2 (if not both) HD are going bad. Do you think this could be possible? Is there anyway I can tell? I don't want to go buy another HD and then still have the same problems. I have a standard 80GB HD that I salvaged off of my old Compaq and an 200GB Western Digital HD that I bought about a year ago. My operating system is on the much older 80GB HD. Maybe thats the problem. Any help???

·
Registered
146 Posts
this is not necessarily the hard drive, if you could post the sys specs, it would be greatly helpful, but just some places to start,

Your power supply could not be supplying enough power,
You could have some bad memory

Try removing and reseating the memory, see if that helps, or you may invest in a new power supply thats 5-600 watts to give room for upgrading.

hopefully we can help more when u post ur sys specs

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would be curious to know what kind of power supply you have, in addition to the rest of your specs. Initially, it does sound suspiciously like a power supply problem.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
My operating system is on the much older 80GB HD.
I agree, check the psu for being substandard, but also make sure you are using a new 80 wire ribbon cable or a new rounded cable.

The only problem that was an issue was my graphics card was not up to date
So the shop sold you a video card? You better check the device manager for any yellow conflict alerts, they might not have removed your old video drivers first.
control panel>system>hardware>device manager
click "view" then click "show hidden devices"

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
the "stuff" you can do without spending money

download and run memtest86.com for at least 4 hours

download and run Sensorview pro / then with sensorview monitoring your system run a drive defrag, spyware scanner, anti vurus scanner, and play music files all at the same time for about 20 minutes then use the print screen trick to capture the results of your temps and volts from sensorview you can use the free image shack hosting to get that info into this thread or post them manually ?

all downloads are free and links are in my tools @ signature

BTW: please post full sytem specs with make and model of psu which you will have to remove the side off your case to get the psu make and model number; if you dont know your computers specs you can get them with Everest Home edition >>>> see monitoring in my links

·
Registered
28 Posts
90% this error is because of bad memory. Last year i couldn't extract large compressed files until i replaced my Kingston' mem. When i ran memtest, it showed over 3000 errors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
1.0 GB RAM
200GB HD Western Digital
80GB HD
Power Supply 400W

Results of Sensorview

CPU - 27 C/81 F
SYS - 31 C/88 F
AUX - 28 C/83 F
HD0 - 35 C/95 F
HD1 - 30 C/86 F

CP Usage - 20%
Memory Usage - 60%

CPU Fan - 2377 RPM
SYS Fan - 6027 RPM
AUX Fan - 0 RMP

VCore A - 1.39V
VCore B - 0.00V
+3.3V - 3.28V
5V - 5V
12V - 11.08V
+5VSB - 4.81V
+VBAT - 3.09V

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I am going to say you have a very weak & defective PSU your 12V reading of only 11.08 is not a good thing!

I highly reccomend you think about the Antec Trio 550 watt PSU you can get them at newegg, tigerdirect, zipzoomfly for about $85.00 after rebate!

your system is being starved for power

·
Registered
146 Posts
yep, psu is not pumpin enough juice, wow never thought it would be this soon i would guess right about the psu espically since we just coverd them 2-3 weeks ago.

and if it doesent just think this way, the psu is dying anyways, so whynot upgrade cause it would die sooner or later, but when u do replace it make sure to remove and reseat all cards as well, (memory, video card, all other expansion cards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello i ahd the exact same problem and i went for a Enermax 450W and i done a fresh install of my windows and evrythink is running great.
You will not have other choice to get a new psu at 11.08v it is almost dead.
Have a nice Day

Tivert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.