Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave:

Yesterday I was watching something on my computer (I use VLC to watch movies) when my Spybot started acting up. It popped up a billion warnings (they're not really warnings though, more like "Do you want to allow this application...etc etc") - one of them was "regedit" but it contained no information in the details nor did it say what this was linked to. I didn't start up any programs, nor did I install anything new in the last few weeks. So I pressed "no" (as in 'do not allow this application') because I didn't know why I got so many pop ups all of a sudden.

Then everything slowed down significantly so I decided to restart. When I restarted everything seemed fine. I finished my work last night and closed the laptop (I don't usually shut it down, it just goes to sleep when I close it) This morning though it was completely frozen, I had to restart it manually.

It got to the log in screen. I logged in. And after that, all I could see was a black screen with the cursor (which I could move) Task manager wasn't coming up. Nothing was working.

After that I had to go to work. Just went back home (since I live across the street) during lunch to try and fix it. I tried going into safe mode but same thing happens. Blank screen. Task manager doesn't work. I tried going back into regular mode. Again, black screen but this time task manager worked. I manually opened explorer.exe through task manager. I did a system restore. Same problem though but this time the black screen stays on for about 4-5 minutes and then starts windows normally.

I noticed in task manager that teatimer.exe takes A LOT of CPU though which it never did before. I left my laptop on now and it's performing a scan on Spybot so hopefully when I get back it'll find something but I'm just not sure if this is a software or a hardware issue. Any idea what this is?

I have a Sony Vaio with Vista Home on it. I never got a Vista CD so I can't really repair anything that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Annie

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.