Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Few days ago my computer got the Trojan.Vundo. Norton 2003 pro didn't manage to prevent but also to remove the virus. I uninstaleld Norton and I install a trial version of NOD32. Today, I scanned again my hard disc and no threads were found. But still dll files of the Trojan existed. I went to startup and I deactivated the: kdfgj83ke.dll, mlDJwVmJ.dll and nnnlmMcd.dll files that were spoted as files of the virus. When i rebooted by pc, I received the message: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)". It appears 2 times after I login and then I can see only the background. Nothing else. I tried safe mode, safe mode with network, VGA, recover system in previous condition. But nothing worked.

I have XP SP2, 2,99 GHZ, 500MB RAM

Thanks

iliana

·
Registered
928 Posts
Why did you uninstall Norton?

I hope you realize ANY AntiVirus Utility CANNOT protect you against a virus it does not know about yet. That's why you must update your antivirus protection daily.

This is also why you are most vulnerable if you are online all the time. This maximizes the opportunity of getting infected BEFORE an Malware utility can protect you.

From you post, this is what happened to you. The virus infected your system before Norton had it in its protection file, but it did find-remove after the protection update.

Also, are you running an additional Anti-Spyware utility? You should. This is required by my Corporate IT on all desktops. In the division I am IT Tech for, I use Spybot Search & Destroy (donationware), one of several listed by corporate. I have used this at home for years, since my Win98 days, and it's well known and reliable. But note that the limitations that apply to AntiVirus utilities also apply with Anti-Spyware utilities, cannot protect you against spyware that arrives before they know about it.

To maximize your protection, do NOT stay on-line all the time. Shut down your PC or log-off the desktop. Even if you use broadband network connection, there is an easy you can logoff just like a DialUp connection.

Here's how:
  1. In Network Connections, right-click the connection and check BOTH boxes in the General tab (see the network icon in Toolbar Tray all the time)
  2. Now drag a SHORTCUT to the network connection where you want it (Desktop or somewhere else)
  3. To go OFF LINE: right-click the Taskbar Tray Icon and select Disable
  4. To go ON LINE: use the shortcut you made, this will re-enable the connection (wait for the little-yellow-ball = reconnect to finish, MAY run twice)
I use the above protections at home and have had NO infections for decades (yes, I use Norton & Spybot S&D, and broadband).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear tecknomage, thanks a lot for the reply!

Norton found the virus but was unable to remove it! I was updating Norton daily! When Norton didn't manage to get rid of the virus, I downloaded latest version of NOD32, got off line, uninstalled Norton, installed NOD32 and run a scan. Virus was found and removed but not 100%. Some .dll files remained in System32 and caused problems. Today the system crashed. After I login, I see the error message and then.... nothing! Also, system cannot shut down. Any proposals?

Thanks again

iliana

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hi iliana, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

To completely remove any Norton® Product from a computer, their removal tool is required.
Although you may have uninstalled it via the Control Panel's Add/Remove section, Norton® themselves admit that that is not enough.

Norton® Removal Tool. (Click on the coloured link.)

I would suggest that once you have use the Norton tool, you uninstall and reinstall your NOD32 anti virus, to ensure that you have a good 'clean' installation.

Give this a try and post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave! The problem is that I cannot get into my PC! After I login nothing is loading!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.