Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all those who can help me:

I am currently working on a project for a Computer recycle company . They have assigned me the task of finding out the best way to plug several devices of all kind into a system in order to test them :eek:....
When I mean several.. I do mean.. WOW , a whole bunch of different things... It is Hard disks and CD drives and also floppy drives. But not only made by one company but for the most common and existent till this day, that means SCSI and IDE/ATAPI and RLL interface and MFM interface...ATA, all the SCSI that are available...etc. I have made research in the web about all this devices, types and amount of them that can be plugged to a computer, and I found out the following:

- IDE supports maximum 8 devices and need to be configured and the computer must be restarted in order to have control over the devices plugged to this ports.(same as ATAPI, ATA)
-SCSI scuzzi can, with the latest version, plug up to 15 devices and I am not sure still about what do they mean by hot swappable, and if the computer needs to be booted or not when you change devices connected to this BUS. Also, I have doubt's on the possibility of having in a same computer SCSI of 50 pins and the one of 68 pins.
-USB well, well, a very fast thing coming...but yet not well implemented and not very available (talking about USB2, because usb1 would definitely not work to plug several hard disks to a computer).
-FIREWIRE / ilink/ IEE 1394. This was the alternative I was thinking of, in order to plug several DIE hard disks to a computer, also CD ROMs. Since there is no need to boot the computer and with the appropriate enclosure easy to change HD, or device into it.

':('NOW, the thing is, I also read about raid...and there is this fire wire... I read SCSI is quite expensive (compared to IDE) and I have seen that Firewire enclosures ain't that cheap either...

Do you have any idea or any advice for me???
Should the solution be to by different computers which support each of the types of devices existent?
like 1 motherboard with SCSI 50 pins included
1 motherboard with SCSI 68 pins included
1 IDE normal ports + tertiary and quaternary port added
Or a RAID system is also a solution is my problem is not the reliability of data but to know the status of the hard drive?
Is still my idea of Fire wire the most profitable?

Hm, lots of questions, I hope any of you can help me out!!
PD: for floppy's I have no clue of how to test them if it ain't booting the computer and testing two per boot...do you know any other way?

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Hmmm... Thats a tuff one. The best thing might be to use one computer setup for SCSI one for IDE etc.. The only problem is you'll have mulitable computers. Where I work the techs only have one test board so we do a lot of swapping and a lot of reloading of windows.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.