Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing PClinuxOS on Live CD for first time on this computer/laptop. I successfully got it to run on a different PC, but on this one it goes through the install with the Linux install screen and goes to a user and password prompt on a blue terminal looking screen. I enter root for user and password, it logs on, then gives the logged on prompt in the terminal. Not sure why it isn't booting to desktop, and what to do about it.

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,529 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to TSF!!

I would recommend that you try tying this at the prompt.
Code:
startx
Also, why are you logging in as root? Do you not have a regular user to log in with?

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the startx and it came up with errors. I had to type video, and then manually choose which video driver to use. After doing that, I able to type startx and have it run. It isn't using that known good configuration though. I have to do it every time. I am still running LiveCD. I am trying though, to install Linux Mint, but I can't partition my hard drive properly. I am still searching for the fix for that. I was logging in as root because I haven't got anything else set up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.