Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the system is in Standby mode and there are CD's in either of my drives (Secondary IDE channel - 1 DVD on Master and 1 CDRW on slave) the system will resume from standby where the monitor comes on and the desktop will appear in about 5 seconds. When I try to access Internet Explorer immediately after resuming the system will temporarily freeze until the CD or DVD drive is accessed. Is this normal and is there a way to optimize my setup. If the drives are empty the system functions normally without any hesitation.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I don't do Standby, but my guess is it's probably normal, just another annoying XP Pro quirk. When the PC comes back from Standby, XP probably wants to poll all the storage devices, especially the removables, to see what's out there. My guess is since Windows Explorer knows about the CD media, and Internet Explorer is tightly integrated with Windows Explorer, using one triggers action by the other.

Another likely thought is that at one time you viewed an HTML document that was sitting on a CD, and now IE thinks it has to check all CD's for presence of that. If so you might try clearing the History and maybe the Temporary files. You might have even stored a link to a CD in your Favorites. Last resort: maybe there's a Cookie that knows about some particular CD.

Or maybe the antivirus software is waking up to make sure nobody swapped in a CD having a virus-laden boot sector. I get antivirus delays a lot, like any time I launch almost any app for the first time in a boot cycle... IE, WordXP, Wordpad, you name it; Acrobat taking the longest of all.

Beyond that I'm not sure, so I'm moving this over to the Windows XP forum to see if anyone over there has a better answer.

-clintfan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.