Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temp Folder Corrupt

6K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  chauffeur2 
#1 ·
my temp folder is corrupt somehow. i cant save anything to it without getting errors. it causes my zune software to bug up and it wont convert my video files. how do i fix this? it says to use chkdisk, but whenever i run it it says itll run when the computer restarts. i restart the computer and it runs, but it says that i canceled it? i also can't install any programs because they can't use the temp folder.

#2 ·
Hello 1000cleverlines, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

Please try this workaround (you will need your Windows® XP SP2 CD).

(In the event that you do not have a Windows® XP CD with SP2, you will need to 'borrow' one from a friend or colleague, as the manufacturer's "Recovery Discs" will not work in this instance.)

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go Start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point: While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Once finished, remove the CD and reboot your machine...all should be "Normal" (hopefully). :grin:

Please post back with the result, or if there are any further queries/concerns.

Kind Regards,

#3 ·
didn't work. still getting the same errors that i usually do. i saw one that says a service pack update is corrupt too, it was like 2.5..... also when i start up the computer it tells me to back up my files because the hard disk is going to fail soon or something like that. i doubt that is supposed to be happening?

#8 ·
i ran dell diagnostics from the disc provided with my laptop and sure enough, the hard drive was an option. it kept getting the following error:
Error 0F00:0244
Msg Block 51003551: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

I continued to get that error with various other message block #'s. It popped up about 50 times in all. Also, the SMART disc scan gave me a similar error to my start up error saying that the hard disk might fail soon so I need to back up everything. It almost seems to me like my hard disk was damaged somehow that is out of my power, and I might just need to call Dell up. Let me know your thoughts though...

#9 ·
Hello 1000cleverlines,

That report is indeed telling us that the HDD is 'crook' and needs replacement ASAP.

If your laptop is still under warranty; then, Dell™ needs to look at it with a view of replacing the HDD...if it's out of warranty, and you are confident enough, we have a specific Laptop Support Forum here that could guide you in how to replace the HDD, once you buy a replacement.

Kind Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.