Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I only recently subscribed to this forum, hoping I can get some help here with some problems I have. They are Microsoft related and I cannot find any solutions on their website.

The first problem I have is the following:

Whenever I open Internet Explorer version 7, the programme is not responding for a few moments and also slows down other programmes that I work in at the same time. I never had this problem with version 6 and when I uninstall version 7 the previous version works fine. Once version is reinstalled the problem occurs again. I have already reset and deleted all cookies, temp. internet files and history as recommended by Microsoft but no luck.

Could you help please? My operating system is Windows XP. Someone said that I might have a missing or corrupt file within my Windows O/S but how do I find out if that is the case?

Another issue is that my PC cannot install a recent update for outlook 2003 junk email filter (KB932330). It just cannot install it but never tells the reason why and it keeps on trying. I am completely lost with this.

I would very much appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance,

Tim

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
My operating system is Windows XP. Someone said that I might have a missing or corrupt file within my Windows O/S but how do I find out if that is the case?
I can at least answer this part : prepare your XP CD (if a file is corrupt, you'll need it), then go to start => run, and type "sfc /scannow". This will launch the system files scanner.

Have you made a thorough search for malwares ? Check the link in my sig. If you go through the 5 steps, don't forget to post your HJT log in the HJT section, and not here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok what are the specs of your computer? does your computer have at least the minimum specs for internet explorer 7, if not this could be the cause of the problem. Otherwise like the last poster said, check for corrupted files.

About the update, you might want to try uninstalling Outlook Express, then reinstalling it, this can be done by going to the control panel, which can be found by going into Start> Settings> Control Panel then double clicking on the Add/Remove Programs icon, let this load completely. Then to the left there should be a menu, select Add/Remove Windows components and finding Outlook express there... If it is not listen go back to the Add/Remove Programs section and try and find it there, but it should be in windows components. Once it is uninstalled, to reinstall it go back to the add remove Windows components, find outlook express and click install. Now try and update it again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for this. Very helpful. I will try this as soon as I can.

I can at least answer this part : prepare your XP CD (if a file is corrupt, you'll need it), then go to start => run, and type "sfc /scannow". This will launch the system files scanner.

Have you made a thorough search for malwares ? Check the link in my sig. If you go through the 5 steps, don't forget to post your HJT log in the HJT section, and not here.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your first question is very good. Initially my memory was not large enough to run IE 7 but I have now upgraded and this should no longer be a problem. As for uninstalling and re-installing Outlook Express, what about my current settings for the programme. Would I have to re-set everything again once I have re-installed it?

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Tim

Ok what are the specs of your computer? does your computer have at least the minimum specs for internet explorer 7, if not this could be the cause of the problem. Otherwise like the last poster said, check for corrupted files.

About the update, you might want to try uninstalling Outlook Express, then reinstalling it, this can be done by going to the control panel, which can be found by going into Start> Settings> Control Panel then double clicking on the Add/Remove Programs icon, let this load completely. Then to the left there should be a menu, select Add/Remove Windows components and finding Outlook express there... If it is not listen go back to the Add/Remove Programs section and try and find it there, but it should be in windows components. Once it is uninstalled, to reinstall it go back to the add remove Windows components, find outlook express and click install. Now try and update it again.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe that all of the settings will be deleted, but this may be the only way to repair your problem. About IE 7 if the specifications all reach recommended, then it should run smoothly and I do not know the problem, I am sorry I couldn't help with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Just,

I have finally managed to go through the five steps but have not been able to do the Panda Active Scan (although I have done which I think is a similar scan on Ewido.net. When I get to the page where one has to click on 'My computer' I just get a littel 'error on page' message in the bottom left hand corner and I cannot get the scan started. Does that have to do with the Active control (where it tries to sell you the package)? Do you know how to deal wit that?

Cheers,

Tim

Have you made a thorough search for malwares ? Check the link in my sig. If you go through the 5 steps, don't forget to post your HJT log in the HJT section, and not here.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi Tim !

I don't really know about that error with Panda Activescan. Were you using IE to access that website ? If you got the problem simply because you refused to intall the active X controls, just install them when prompted to do so. Pandasoftware.com is a safe website.

Your problem may not be related to malwares. Open the task manager (press ctrl+alt+del) and look in the processes tab. Tell us if you see one particular process (other than the system idle process) taking most of the cpu usage when you're experiencing those slowdowns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.