Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the Task Manager loading at start up for a good while now but it just started freezing while loading which in turn freezes my task bar and start menu. I get on hour glass and neither responds to clicks and whatnot. I started in safe mode and it's fine now so I was wondering if anyone knew of a reason it would randomly start doing this. Here's my configuration:

Gateway PC
XP Media Center
3.06ghz Pentium 4
1g RAM

Here's what's starting at boot(not a crazy amount and it's not really slow, just this present problem):

MalewareBytes
nod32
AdMuncher
Java Updater
MS ActiveSync
Task Manager

About to restart with the delays implemented to see if that helps. If not, I'll delete Task Manager from the start up folder which I'm sure will fix it. I do want to keep the Task Manager loading at start up so if any has any ideas, I'm all ears. I'll report back the results of the restarts. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't seem to edit the thread for some reason so here's what happened:

Delayed some non-security programs at start up with Task Manager still loading and the task bar and start menu still freeze. Then tried after deleting Task Manager from the start up folder and it still freezes. So I don't really know what the deal is. Any ideas? Computer only loads completely in Safe Mode.

·
Registered
585 Posts
it could be software, but it's probably a driver making a bad write to RAM.

in safe mode, start > run > type in msconfig and hit enter.

go to the startup tab and click on disable all.

restart. if it's good, it's one of those startup entries. trial and error until you figure which one.

more likely it's in the services tab.

start > run > type in msconfig and hit enter

services tab

click on hide all microsoft services. click on disable all. before you click on disable all, make sure that the microsoft services are not visible.

restart. trial and error until you figure out which one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.