Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,
I have computer with following specification ..

Processor: 533 Mhz Intel Celeron
Primary cache : 32 Kb
Secondary cache : 128 Kb
Tertiary cache : 128 KB

Main circuit board : Tyan computer corporation , Intel 810 1.0
Bus clock : 66 MHz
BIOS American Megatrends Inc 063101 01/15/99

Ram : 256 Mb

Hard drive : 20 GB

Problem :
when i start the computer it shows that S.M.A.R.T is present but disabled ..when i able it ..it wont work properly ....it takes a long time on welcome screen which opens with a beep sound ..sometimes it takes 15-20 minutes in that welcome screen ...i have already uninstalled all the softwares which were usually loading at the beginning ...i disabled everything in msconfig ....so could anybody please suggest me anything else ..would BIOS update helps in anyways ..if yes how can i do that ...
thanks ..

·
Registered
696 Posts
Howdy bindudhindsa

First off It will be a little slow because of your system specs..

But turn off SMART. as this just slows down the Hard drive. it monitors the HD constanstly to make sure its not going to Die on ya, and its really never right anyway..

Try this to make windows boot faster..
Go to start. Click run
Type in regedit
Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement\PrefetchParameters

On the EnablePrefetcher value, change the setting from 3 to 5 (decimal).

Close the registry editor.

Restart your computer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello thanks for ur reply ..but cud u please tell me one more thing ..in the beginning it stops at another point which seems so different to me ...in the first window it shows press ctrl+S to enter setup ...it stops there for a small time and then stops again at welcome screen ..does it ring any bell to you ..
thanks again ..i will try that for sure ..
i will let u know about its results ..

·
Registered
696 Posts
That could be because your DVD or CD rom is set to boot first..

Go into your BIOS (if you do not know how post back I will tell ya)

FInd the boot order, and make sure your hard drive is set to first boot.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
With a system that slow, it would be a very good idea for you to take some time (with the assistance of someone else, if necessary) to evaluate all of the programs you may have installed in order to determine how necessary they are and if they could be uninstalled.

·
Registered
696 Posts
With a system that slow, it would be a very good idea for you to take some time (with the assistance of someone else, if necessary) to evaluate all of the programs you may have installed in order to determine how necessary they are and if they could be uninstalled.

I agree. You may have uninstalled some programs that are needed on the pc..

Thanks for the post Girderman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.